Knitting helped me to overcome my depression

When I lost my son, I thought I will be able to handle the pain. But I was in a severe stage of depression for two years and that affected my family also. My husband tried all possible ways to bring me back. As a part of his effort, I underwent depression therapy in Toronto. After the treatment, I was coming back to my normal life. My husband bought a knitting kit for me to engage me in something. Gradually I started using it and it helped me a lot to overcome the pain. Has anyone of you experienced a similar situation? Any insight on this would be great.

From what I understand, knitting induces an alpha-wave brain state which relaxes your body and mind similar to right before you fall asleep. I’m not sure how or why, but that is what I’ve been told.

I’ve heard of knitting help with depression and other things as well! So glad it’s helped you!

For a time, I had anxiety to the extent that I couldn’t leave my house. This severity lasted for about a year and a half or so. My dad taught me how to knit during that time, causing my creativity to start to flourish! Being able to keep my hands busy-not fidgeting with my hair or biting my nails- but creating something instead definitely helped ease my anxiety.

Oddly, I have recently discovered that knitting improves my reading comprehension. So I knit while I’m reading my college assignments.

Not surprised. I listen better when I’m knitting as many have discovered. Retired now, but it’s too bad bosses so often won’t let anyone knit.

The brain is wonderful and complex. But cannot focus on all things simultaneously, a fact which is capitalized on by those who teach childbirth techniques like Bradley. It also cannot hold on to contrary emotional states at the same time.

I went through a tremendous grief when my brother committed suicide when I was only 22, he was 24. I decided that I would force myself to limit how much time I would let myself experience grief in order to get things done. That alone was good therapy. And as I’ve knitted for most of my life, I have always been making things. Yes, the activity is therapeutic and it provides something to feel good about in the various challenge which each pattern presents. The activity promotes healthy brain chemistry which is why it helps to heal depression.

I am so glad you found knitting helpful. It is a positive addiction. Yes, I have quite the stash of yarn and loads of needles I’ve tried, even projects I decided I did not like enough to finish. However, this simple craft is not that simple, it has a heart component in that it allows us to connect better to others and also to even our own feelings.

Sometimes the best solution to a problem is to walk away from it sometimes and then gain fresh insight.

Grief is hard but that you can feel it so acutely, does not mean you are not handling it right, it means those who can brush it off so easily, never really understood love at all.

God knit us together in our mother’s womb, the Bible says. That was long before we understood DNA and how a fantastically thin thread which is so incredibly long, can fold itself right and reproduce itself, is nothing short of a miracle. As a knitter, I know the frustration of trying to unravel a ball of yarn which fell apart. Yet rarely think of the amazing things all my cells do which is far more difficult and happens without our ever thinking about it.

Life is a miracle. And one great one, is finding the strength we never could believe we had.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this.

I picked up knitting a year and a half ago when I wanted to make a Hufflepuff scarf for my best friend. This was also about two weeks before I went off to big-girl college. I have anxiety and trouble focusing, and I’ve found knitting helps keeps my hands busy (so i don’t pull at my hair), and also helps me focus in class during lectures.
However, the most profound thing about it has been how quickly I picked up on it. I have a lot of confidence issues. I’m finally getting through college at 27, but I spent most of my life feeling too stupid to learn, and while I have about a million hobbies (reading, writing, drawing, sewing, etc), I’ve always felt sub-par compared to the work I see other people create. But knitting clicked with me immediately. It was frustrating, because I didn’t know a soul who knitted, so I just had to rely on youtube videos and google, which got really difficult. For the first few months, I really just worked on that scarf here and there, but around Christmas, I didn’t have money to buy a lot of gifts for people, so instead I just bought a lot of yarn, and decided I’d make everyone’s gifts.
When I went to a knitting group a few times at a local yarn store, a lot of teh women there who had been knitting for years were really impressed with me! It made me feel so good about myself! And ontop of that, it’s the first hobby I’ve been able to make practical things for people. So whenever someone wears something I made for them, it just warms me to my core.
Before we were dating, I made my boyfriend a star wars hat, which was my first colorwork project. He wore it all the time, and still does, and nothing had ever made me feel more confident about my ability to learn!

1 Like