Knitting help

Hello I am new to knitting, all I really know how to do it knit a basic scarf with knit, pearl stitches. I wanted to try a triangle scarf and found the pattern I like, it is something like this

I am meant to cast on 7 stitches and work from there. (increasing 1 st at each end, and 1 st each side of centre stitch, every RS row) something like this:

(RS) K2, yo, k to centre stitch, yo, k1, yo, k to 2 sts before end of row, yo, k2.
(WS) K2, p to 2 sts before end of row, k2.

When I read K to center stitch I became absolutely dumbfounded. Is anyone able to explain to me where I find the center stitch?

Thanks,
Amy :slight_smile:

and then says something like this

If you’ve cast on 7, then stitch 4 will be your center stitch. You can put a little piece of yarn on there to mark it if you like

After you work the first row, the center stitch will become clear because there will be an eyelet on each side of it from the yo’s.

Thank you so much I was looking all over the net trying to work out what they meant by the center stitch. And all i had to do was halve the amount of stitches!!!

You have been a great help!!

If you have 7 sts cast on, it’s the 4th stitch from the end, the middle st. Put a marker before that stitch so it will be easy to see when you comt to that center st. The marker can be as simple as a small circle of scrap yarn in a contrasting color.

I also have one more question, when it says to increase a stitch ever rs row when would I do this at the beginning or the end? I am already meant to increase at the end so would that then mean to do it in the beginning of the row?

(increasing 1 st at each end, and 1 st each side of centre stitch, [U]every RS row[/U]) something like this:

(RS) K2, [U]yo[/U], k to centre stitch, [U]yo[/U], k1, [U]yo[/U], k to 2 sts before end of row, [U]yo[/U], k2.

The YOs at each end are increasing and the YOs at each side of the cener st are increasing the stitch count. The pattern is telling you that’s where the increases are on the RS rows.

Ahhh I see now, I never knew that yarn over meant that I was increasing a stitch I thought that was something different. Thanks!!!

I am not sure I completely understand this pattern im using as mentioned above I am meant to cast 7 stitches then do the following

(RS) K2, yo, k to centre stitch, yo, k1, yo, k to 2 sts before end of row, yo, k2.

when I first start I do not seem to have enough stitches… the above pattern for (RS) would be 12 stitches in total right? I also dont understand what it means by k to 2 sts before end of row…how would i then be able to yo then k2? if i am leaving it so there are only two stitches how am i meant to do the three needed?

Am I missing something completely? Here is the link to the scarf and pattern http://crazyknittinglady.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/a-tale-of-two-scarves/, I really like this style and am determined to make this one!!! sorry for all the questions…it is a real bummer starting out and not knowing.

Thanks,
Amy

A yo adds a stitch, and if used in a lace pattern with the same number of decreases that will keep the sts the same too, but the hole is what makes it lacy.

Your first row has 7 sts, and you’re adding 4 more sts to it, which gives you 11 sts at the end of that row. Remember that a yo creates a new stitch without [I]using[/I] a stitch from the previous row. If you need a refresher on yarn overs, there’s a video here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases (scroll down to see the video for YOs).

So you would work to 2 knit stitches before the end of the row, wrap the yarn around the needle (see video for direction to wrap yarn) and then knit the last two stitches.

Thank you!!

so how would you guys start this pattern, mine doesnt seem to be turning out the way hers does,

(WS) K2, p to 2 sts before end of row, k2. this is the pattern as you know.

So the first row because I am starting out with 7 stitches and increase to make more on the YO I would start this pattern by doing K2, yo, K centre stitch, yo, k1, yo, k? do i just follow the pattern up until I run out of stitches. I know that eventually I will make new stitches so i should be able to complete this pattern.

Thanks for that,

I am having the most trouble with trying to work the pattern out and get mine looking like the one on the website.

as mentioned above the pattern goes like this

what i would like to know is how i start this pattern off would it be something like this?

K2, yo, k center stitch, yo, ki, yo, k This would be 7 stitches, I cant finish the pattern on the first row?? Do i just continue on until I can finish the pattern for the RS row?

i must be completely missing it!!!

The YOs don’t use a stitch btw, you just wrap the yarn around the needle, then go on to the next stitch. So the first row is k2, yo [I]k1[/I], yo[B] K1[/B] (this is the center stitch, so mark it), yo [I]k1[/I], yo k2. If you count all the numbers there, that adds up to 7, then the YOs add 4 more. On row 3 you would k2, yo k3, yo [B]K1[/B], yo k3, yo, k2. After that you should be able to figure it out - you have more sts between the edge and center YOs, and just that single knit stitch in the middle with a yo before and after it.

okay so I think I finally understand now!!! So when I get to k2, yo k1 <— It doesnt meant that the yo is a seperate stitch it is telling me to yo before doing that k1? thats why I was getting so confused I thought for some reason that I would do a yo knit then an extra k1 after that but this makes much more sense!!! :smiley:

The yo is really just bringing the yarn to the front between the needles. It gets created when you work the next stitch.

K2, yo, k1, yo, [COLOR=Red]k1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Black], yo, k1, yo, k2 The red is the center st.

Next rs row, you’ll have 11 stitches to work with

k2, yo, k3, yo, [COLOR=Red]k1 [COLOR=Black], yo, k3, yo, k2 = uses 11 stitches but leaves you with 15.

Every rs row, you will have 2 more stitches after the first yo and before the final yo.
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Ingrid that is awesome thanks, I do have one more question… When you wrote yo before the end k2 am i bringing my yo before both of those stitches? and also yo before my center stitch? Sorry just want to clarify. This is the second pattern i have tried in my life :open_mouth:

Yes. Think of a YO as another knit stitch except your R needle isn’t inserted into a stitch on the L needle.

See if this video of the yo helps. Amy does the yo before several other sts but the yo itself is the same as you’re doing. (There’s also a video of yo for continental knitting if that is the way you knit.)

I understand how to do a yo i am just having trouble reading patterns, I have only done it once before and that pattern was very very easy, this pattern is probably very easy for you all to but not for me at this stage. I guess when I see patterns that say yo, k to 2 sts before end of row, yo, k2.i get really confused when all its saying in simple breaking down terms yo k1, yo k1, yo k1, yo k1 is that right?

You’re working the yo after the first two stitches are knit, on either side of the center stitch (yo, k1, yo) and then knitting until you have 2 stitches left on the right needle; then you yo and work the last 2 stitches.

k2, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k2
k2, yo, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, yo, k2
k2, yo, k5, yo, k1, yo, k5, yo, k2
k2, yo, k7, yo, k1, yo, k7, yo, k2

etc.

Once you get the first few yo’s in place, it will be easy to see where they need to go