Knitting heel flap? i'm a newbie

i’m knitting socks and i don’t quite understand how you would put a certain amount of stitches on one dpn to knit the heel flap. if anyone could explain it to me, i’d greatly appreciate it. (:

you are going to be knitting flat, not in the round for the heel flap.

It depends on the pattern you are using, some have you knit the stitches onto one needle some have you slip them, and some have you slip the ones you don’t want off. Just follow what it say… like Ingrid says, trust the pattern… and watch Amy’s video. At the beginning she shows the heel flap, seeing it may help.

this question was just answered last week…
see here

basicly, the [B]B[/B]egining [B]O[/B]f [B]R[/B]ound ([B]BOR[/B]) is [I]center back “seam”[/I]-(not really a seam, just an imaginary one!)

when making the heel flap, you position stitches so BOR is in the center of the flap, (after the heel is turned, and gussets are picked up, the stitches get ‘repositioned’ so the BOR is between needle 1 and needle 3 (4)–and the ‘center seam’ (invisible…not really a seam…) is on the center of the sole (bottom of sock)–the center front of sock is center front of instep

(so if you sock has 60 stitches, Stitch 1 (BOR) is center of sole, and stitch 30 (half way point) is Center front)
[B]
This IS GENERALLY TRUE[/B] for sock designed to be knit on DPN.–about 90 to 95% of the sock patterns out there will follow this rule!

(sock knit on 2 circ’s or via Magic loop generally have BOR on the side, not on center back–again a general rule (not a law!) )

in the end, it doesn’t really matter where the BOR is, --it just serves as a landmark/reference point for directions!–

you’ll have to ‘reposition’ the stitches again when you complete the toe… (since its not really possible to graft starting in the middle of the toe…Instead, you’ll knit to a side (not a seam… but a fold) and graft from side A to side B (with the BOR “seam” in the center point!)

Here’s another way to look at it. If you’ve knit the sock top down, then what’s happened is that you’ve come to the end of your leg. Now you have to knit the foot. But, oh, what’s that in the way??? Why, it’s your heel!:teehee: Now, the problem is, how to get the tube of the leg piece to connect with the tube of the foot piece, without it looking like a 6 year just bunched them together. This is where the heel business comes in. The top of the heel/ankle joint piece of a sock needs to slope down, but underneath, the heel piece of a sock needs to form a cup. So what you’re doing is stopping the knitting on the top part of the sock, while you make that cup thingy for the heel. The cup thingy is made by doing “short rows”, where you knit some of a row, and then turn back before the end to knit the next row. When you keep doing that for several rows, it makes the knitting form a cup. Then you’re going to pick up that top “flap” and work them together (the directions will tell you exactly what to do and when) and then you’re all turned and ready to start the foot tube piece.

oh ok. thank you guys so much! i finally got to knitting the heel! (: yay! i’ll let you guys know when i finish my first pair of socks. :smiley: