Knitting first shawl, need some clarification on dealing with knitting chart

I’m working on my first shawl pattern and of course the one I chose is mapped out on this crazy chart. I have actually transferred all the charts to written out directions since i’ll never be able to follow these tiny boxes. I am making the Bitteroot shawl by Romi Hill and I just want to make sure I’m understanding the directions correctly. I have done the setup row and all markers are in place, now I’m ready to begin the chart. I am starting with K3, slip marker, WORK CHART ROW TO NEXT MARKER, slip marker, k center st, slip marker, WORK CHART ROW TO LAST MARKER, slip marker, k3. So, to clarify, I will be working the chart rows multiple times depending on where I am in the shawl. So chart A row one is just yo, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, yo, and I stick this into the instructions above where it says WORK CHART ROW. Sorry it’s so long, I just want to make sure you understand what I’m saying. Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

That’s the right idea. The 3 knit sts at each end form a border. Place the appropriate chart A row between the outermost markers. You always have the center knit stitch with its markers to help keep you on track.

Wow. Kudos to you for this pattern for your first shall. Props.

1 Like