Knitting Complications

I’ve been trying to knit for a while now and i understand how to purl and all that stuff, but after a couple of rows, i can’t knit due to the stitches being way to tight. I’ve looked up how to stop this but haven’t been able to find any solutions. Can anyone help me?

You’re probably knitting into the back of the loop rather than the front of the loop. Check out our videos on knitting and purling.

You may be pulling the yarn after each stitch to tighten it up - don’t, doing the next one will tighten the previous one. Also try knitting into the leg closest to the needle tip; if you are twisting them, this will keep them from being twisted and it should be much easier to get the needle into them.

It takes practice to have good tension when knitting. First check the video to make sure you are doing the stitches correctly. If you are then knit slowly and don’t don’t pull the yarn so tight. Speed will come later so don’t worry about that.

lol…I’m going to watch the video’s now. But I just wanted to say that I have the same problem. I’ve seen people on the online video’s who knit with such precision and so quickly! So why do I look like I’m operating heavy equipment when I knit? I would never do it in public…a knitter would probably ask me what I was doing!

I’ve seen people on the online video’s who knit with such precision and so quickly! So why do I look like I’m operating heavy equipment when I knit?

It takes practice. You’ll get there eventually, we all did.

Those of us who appear to know what we’re doing and knit evenly didn’t start out that way. As long as you practice you’ll get better and better. It won’t take long. :thumbsup:

Are you knitting on the tips of the needles or on the body of the needles? If you knit on the very tips you are making the stitches small and they are tight as they move back along the body of the needles.

Second question what type of needles are you using?