Knitting cast on techniques

I’m new to knitting and am trying to improve my cast on. My cast on is loose and I’d like to know what I can do to tighten it. Help anyone???

What kind of cast on are you using right now? And do you mean loose like they’re big and sloppy after you’ve been knitting a while and look back or that they aren’t snug on the needle when you go back to do the first row? The later is often taken care of once you start knitting and you don’t want them too tight anyway or you won’t be able to knit into them.

Two things to try:
Do the cast-on with a smaller size needle and change to the regular size when you start knitting. Or a different kind of cast-on method, one that is meant to have a firm edge like a cable cast-on and see how that works for you.

1 Like

As a fairly new knitter, I definitely understand your frustrations! When I started, I had trouble getting a nice cast on as well, and I will tell you this: just keep practicing. Everything in knitting is about repetition and muscle memory, and it gets easier the more you do it. I’ve been at it less than a year, and now my cast ons look pretty good, if I say so myself. :slight_smile:

And as @lewister said, you don’t want your cast on to be too tight, otherwise you won’t be able to knit it properly.

From my personal experience, don’t worry too much if you cast on and it immediately looks too loose or “sloppy” on the needles. As you knit each row, the rows below will tighten somewhat and begin to look more uniform. Again this won’t happen right away, but as you get more experience and settle into your own personal knitting style and tension, things will straighten themselves out.

So the best thing to do is to cast on and knit several rows and see what happens. If the cast on still isn’t behaving the way you’d like, then unravel and start over again.

Also, there are many different types of cast ons, and everyone has their “go-to.” Maybe do a YouTube search and check out the different ones and see if you find a different one that suits your style a little better.

Don’t give up though! Keep at it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What cast on are you using? I recommend learning long tail or the knitted cast on.

That said… since you’re new I would think you most likely just need practice. Cast on and keep on knitting and practicing knits and purls.

1 Like