Knitting Cables in the Round

Hello, everyone. I’ve been a long time user of the site - mostly learning from the videos and lurking on the forums, but I’ve run up against a problem on which I feel I need clarification. Cables. Particularly, knitting cables in the round.

I’ve been trying to make the gauntlets linked here which include some pretty intricate cabling. The cable pattern is listed below:
[INDENT]
Worked over 16 sts.
Rnd 1: P1, sl 4 sts to spare dpn and hold to back of work, k2, k4 from spare dpn, p2, sl 2 sts to spare dpn and hold in front of work, k4, k2 from spare dpn, p1.
Rnd 2 and all even-numbered rnds: Work sts as they appear—knit the knits and purl the purls.
Rnd 3: P1, k4, sl 2 sts to spare dpn and hold to front, p1, k2 from dpn, sl 1 st to dpn and hold to back, k2, p1 from dpn, k4, p1.
Rnd 5: P1, k4, p1, sl 2 sts to dpn and hold to front, k2, k2 from dpn, p1, k4, p1.
Rnd 7: P1, k4, sl 1 st to dpn and hold to back, k2, p1 from dpn, sl 2 sts to dpn and hold to front, p1, k2 from dpn, k4, p1.
Rnd 8: Work sts as they appear.
Rep Rnds 1-8 for Cable Patt.[/INDENT]

My specific problem seems to be the even number rounds. She says to knit as the stitches appear - knit the knits and purl the purls. So does that mean round 2 will be: P1,k2, k4, p2, k4, k2, p1. or am I completely off my rocker? I’ve gone to round 5 and it doesn’t seem to be making a coherent cable which has resulted in me starting over twice already. Any thoughts/tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Think of cables as a rib pattern except for the rows you cross the sts on. And when you knit in the round you’ll be doing the work all on the RS so the sts will be the same as they were in the round below.

Row 1 without the crossovers would be - P1, k6, p2, k6, p1 and so would row 2… as woud rows 4, 6 and 8.

Thanks for the reply, Suzeeq!

Just to be clear, are you saying that rows 2, 4, 6 and 8 are all: P1, k6, p2, k6, p1 or that the even numbered row is simply the previous row w/out the crossover?

So: Row 4: P1, k4, p1, k4, p1, k4, p1. ?

Please excuse my rank amateurishness( probably not a word! )

-Scott

You have it right…the even numbered row is the previous row without the crossover. You just see what the st is as you get to it and work it the same way.

Yep that’s right. If row 1 didn’t have the cable crosses, that’s exactly how it would look too.