knitting and purling

Hello all,
I am just learning to knit I am working on a basic scarf where I am knitting and Row and Purling a row, but every few rows the pattern switches. It is like the front of the work becomes the back of the work and I’m not sure how that is happening. If any one has any advice please help!
Thank-you!

The pattern switches or you switch?
If it’s supposed to be all knit on one side and all purl on the other slow down and look at the piece before starting a row. If that side is knit start knitting, if it’s purl purl. Knit the knits, purl the purls.

If the pattern is supposed to switch you might need a row counter to help keep track of where you are.

If the pattern is all knit a row, purl a row like this -

Row 1. Knit
Row 2, Purl
Row 3. Knit
Row 4. Purl

That is stockinette. The only way it would randomly change is if you knit a row that should be purled or vice versa.

1 Like

Agreed Mike, you need to look at the side facing you and see which row it is before starting :smiley:

If you made a mistake you could continue and not rip it out it would give it an interesting pattern but you would have to continue reversing with the same number of rows

Thank you everyone! I was accidenlty doing 2 rows of purl or 2 rows of knit without realizing it once in a while.

1 Like