Knitting and purling

I am new to knitting, but totally addicted! I’ve learned to knit and to purl, but have diffuculty going from one stitch to the other. Do I actually turn the work over to go from one to the other?

Thanks -

Mary McElroy :thinking:

When you are knitting, the yarn is in the back of your work. To purl, you bring the yarn to the front of the work between the needles and then purl. When you want to knit after purling, you just move the yarn back between the needles. The only time you need to turn your work is when you’re done with the row and you start the next row.

Thanks - I’ll keep practicing!!

Mary

I’m very new at knitting to and it was hard to remember at first (and how to hold the yarn while doing this all plus the needles) but, after you knit for a bit it’s second nature (at least for me)! Hang in there you will git it!

Well, I was practicing in the car a bit ago and I swear after looking at the work, it all looks knitted on one side and purled on the other. I think I need lessons!

Mary

quote=“Missah78”]

I’m very new at knitting to and it was hard to remember at first (and how to hold the yarn while doing this all plus the needles) but, after you knit for a bit it’s second nature (at least for me)! Hang in there you will git it![/quote]

If it looks like all knit on one side and all purl on the other, you’re knitting in stockinette stitch–knit one row and purl one row. A very good thing to know how to do!

Have you checked out the videos at the top of the page?

You mean its right? What do you know. I think I need to invest in classes or the videos. I really do love knitting.

No investment needed! There are free videos here. Just click on the tabs at the top of the page–Getting Started; Basic Techniques and More; and Advanced Techniques. The Abbreviations Explained tabs has lots of videos, too.

Now the free ones I have used - I learned how to bind off and purl from them! THanks -

Mary

:thumbsup: The just keep :x: