Knitting a hat for the first time

I have 94 stitches and have been ribbing k2 p2. The pattern Now says rib 4, *inc in each of next 2 sets, rib 3, rept from * to last 5 sts, inc in each of next 1 sts, rib to end. It then says I should have 129 sts - I’ve done it twice and end up with 115 sts - I’m really :woman_shrugging: Confused. Thanks for any advice.

The math works out to 129 sts. How are you increasing? You could do any increase in a stitch, like a knit front and back (kfb). That’s the simplest way to go.

If you increase between sts you have to account for those 2 sts per repeat.

Sorry - I’m even more confused :man_shrugging:

How are you working the increases?

Knitting one stitch and then a second before casting it off - it gives one extra sts. Is there another way where I should get two extra stitches?

Sounds like knitting into the front and back of the stitch. Like this?

That’ll work just fine. You only want to increase from one stitch to two sts each time.
The pattern directions are, " rib 4, *inc in each of next 2 sts, rib 3, rept from * to last 5 sts, inc in each of next 1 sts, rib to end."
So, work 4sts in rib, (inc in one stitch, inc in one stitch, rib3) then after 17repeats of the directions in parentheses, inc in the next stitch and rib the last 4sts.
It may help to mark off every 5sts of the repeat with stitch markers to make sure that you stay on track. Each repeat of 5sts will be 7sts after you complete it.

Thank you I’ll let you know how I get on

I’m really sorry to be so high maintenance but does this mean I should increase on a purl stitch as well - it seems ok if I increase on a knit stitch

Yes, you can increase in a purl stitch. You could do a purl front and back. You might even be able to shift the increase to a nearby knit stitch if you prefer (depending on the pattern)

I suspect that the pattern is helping you distribute the increases around the hat. Which pattern are you following?

BTW: Don’t think twice about asking questions here and asking again until you understand how to work a project. We’re all happy to help anytime.

The pattern is Wendy 5952 Aran scarfe and hat. I’ve started with 94 sts doing k2 p2 rib. Thank you !

Vary nice hat! Yes, since the brim turns up and the pattern doesn’t seem to continue into the hat, the directions are just helping you distribute the increases. If you’re a stitch or two short after the first row, you can make up for it on the first pattern row. Not to worry.

Thank you - it’s making sense again, I had to take a few days away from it to stop me getting too frazzled.

I’m sure I’ll need help again once I start to shape it.

Hi I’m confused again :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. I’ve decreased on the 1st and 3rd row. 4th row says ‘Work to End DO NOT DEC’ but doesn’t say what pattern to follow - is it the same as row 2? If so row 2 & 4 have a different number of stitches. ???

Then 5 row says Work 7 stitches. Is that the same pattern as row 1? Then it says purl 2 tog and ‘work 14 stitches. Where do I pick the pattern up from after I’ve purled 2 tog?

Grateful for any help as I’ve re done it about 4 times and can’t get it right. Thank you :pray:

Are you at the point where you’re shaping the crown of the hat? and is it knit back and forth rather than in the round?
Usually, because you have decreased sts, you have to look at the knit fabric on the needles and decide how to continue. For many patterns, the alternate rows (maybe 2 and 4 for your pattern) are essentially knit the Vs and purl the bumps.
On the right side rows, decide what lets the columns of knits and purls continue as best a they can considering that sts are missing.

Basically this is “reading” your knitting and it is a very useful skill to have.

Yes I’ve started decreasing- the first rows made sense
Dec 8 sts on row 1 no Dec on row 2 the 3rd. 4th and 5th row have completely flummoxed me.

3rd row (Dec) Work 8 sts, p2tog, work 14sts p2tog work 11 repeat
4th row Work to end DO NOT DEC
5th row (dec) - Work 7 sts, p2tog, work 14 sts p2tog work 9 sts p2tog repeat … the only thing I understand is the repeat :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

The decreases on rows 3 and 5 are likely starting a common pattern for shaping where there are fewer sts between decreases. Since there’s a pattern stitch involved, the decreases may also be accommodating that pattern rather than strictly keeping to a rigid progression.

I’d say, follow the numbers given in the instructions for rows 3-5. Work the number of sts given between decreases but also watch what is happening and make sure that you like the way the top of the hat looks. The directions seem to be hiding the decreases in purl columns, at least in these initial rows.

When they say “work” they mean to knit or purl the sts to maintain pattern without specifying whether these sts are knits or purls. Is that part of the confusion? You won’t be able to strictly follow earlier pattern row directions here. You’ll have to look at previous rows to maintain the stitch pattern as best you can given the decreases.