Knitting a cardigan on circular needles

I have a pattern that only calls for circular needles but it is a cardigan. I started on the circular needles and I am knitting in the round and have closed the loop. What will happen so that I get an opening in the front? In looking through the pattern I cannot tell if I’m doing it right.

You can knit back and forth on circular needles and it sounds like that’s what you should be doing. When you work to the end of the cast on, turn as you would at the end of a row, and work back. Keep turning at the end of the row rather than joining to knit in the round.
Circular needles are often called for when there is a large number of sts.
What is the name of your pattern?

1 Like

Thanks so much!
Yankee-Knitter_32_Etta-Cardigan

1 Like

Gosh, that was not clear to me before. Ok, I get it now. Thanks so much for your help!

What a cute cardigan!

So technically, could I knit this on straight needles?

If you have long enough needles to accommodate the number of sts, yes, you can use straight needles.

Hello!

Hope all is well. Below is an excerpt from a pattern I am knitting that is a girl’s cardigan. Where it says "continue to knit sleeve " is the pattern saying to continue with the Turn & Knit on those few stitches or to begin knitting all of the stitches again? Hope my question is understandable. I get great help from this forum.

Left Sleeve (right side-RS) On next row K21(23-26-29-31-33-35) front sts, slip 1st M, K next 32(36-40-44-48-52-56) sleeve sts which brings you to the 2nd M, leave M on needle. Then turn & knit back across sleeve sts to 1st M & remove M. Turn & K back to 2nd M & remove M. Continue to knit sleeve & when you have K 10 rows (5 ridges) work sleeve decreases on next row as follows; K1, slip 1 (as if to purl), K1, psso (pass slipped st over K st), knit across row until you have 3 sts left, K2 tog, K1. Repeat the sleeve decreases every 10 rows (5 ridges) for 1(2-3-4-5-6-7) times more, making it 2(3-4-5-6-7-8) times total. There are 28 (30-32-34-36-38-40) sts on the needle. Knit until sleeve measures 4(5-6½-8-9½-11- 12½)”or desired sleeve length. End having just knit a RS row. Now work in K1, P1 rib for 3(3-3-5-5-5-5) rows & bind off loosely in ribbing (use a larger needle to bind off if you tend to bind off tightly).

You’re making good progress!
Keep turning and knitting just the sleeve sts. You’ll eventually bind off and cut the yarn leaving at least a 6inch tail to weave in later or an even longer tail to use to seam the sleeve. Then you’ll follow the directions and knit the right sleeve in the same manner.

Once again, thanks so much!