Knitted Dishcloths

Does anyone actually use the dishcloths you knit? are they durable? hmmm… just wondering [/b]

I knit dishcloths for my mom and she loves them. They last her a long time. She likes them better than the ones you can buy at the store.

It gives me a chance to practice new stitches too!

I’ve been curious about that too. Are there patterns out there which are fairly easy? And also pot holders. My boyfriend asked me to make some, and I was thought, wouldn’t the yarn burn or something along those lines? :shrug:

you knit them out of cotton yarn? :shrug: because i am knitting my first dishcloth right now and it is of cotton.

www.knittingpatterncentral.com has LOTS of patterns in those areas… you should check it out… they are all FREE!!!

I use mine. I knit a new one the other day (pattern from the new Creative Knitting magazine). I used it today. I’ve made them for friends and they tell me they love them and use them all the time. Once I made one for my sister and she said it was too pretty to use!

Robin

www.knittingpatterncentral.com has LOTS of patterns in those areas… you should check it out… they are all FREE!!![/quote]
:noway: WOW…

all I can say is… :heart: Thank you!

edit—I’m just looking through the purses/bags. I just wish there were little pictures/skill level. especially for the newbie like me :teehee:

www.knittingpatterncentral.com has LOTS of patterns in those areas… you should check it out… they are all FREE!!![/quote]
:noway: WOW…

all I can say is… :heart: Thank you![/quote]
You are very welcome hun! :hug: :muah:

I use mine all the time! I do find that the cotton tends to stain badly, but they ARE dishcloths so… :shrug: :teehee: I made some from Lion Brand Microspun and while they aren’t quite as absorbent they are pretty good and so far there hasn’t been staining problem.

Lots of patterns here, too.
Dishcloth Boutique

I wasn’t too sure I wanted to spend all that time knitting one, and then use it on something icky like washing dishes - but I LOVE them. They knit up fairly quickly, and they are so easy to clean - just toss in the washing machine. The germ factor is pretty low that way.

http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/ is another good site for patterns. One word of advice - don’t use varigated yarns on something with a design. I learned that one the hard way :doh:

I haven’t knitted any but i have crocheted some…I don’t actually use them for “dishes” because for the same reason…I didn’t wnat to make something nice just to get it all mucky and gross. So i actually use them as…humm large coaster? I don’t know what they’re actually called :teehee: You know…you put it on the table and when you sit around to eat or something you put serving dishes, pots, pans, etc. hot or cold on top so that it doesn’t scratch the table or something. (i have a glass dining table) Bigger than a coaster but smaller than a place mat.

:teehee: trivits kblue…i think :??

So do you just use scrap yarn on the dishcloths? Or is there a really inexpensive cotton yarn out there? :shrug:

Sugar and Cream
Lion Brand Cotton

Peaches and Cream at Walmart

I had a similar type question a while ago, mine was more along the lines of “what are they for”. I got a lot of positive response, and so I decided to knit up a few out of the cheapo Sugar and Cream.

I kept one for myself, and gave one to a co-worker. Who is a wonderful women, but kind of persnickity when it comes to certain things. She told me the other day (Monday) that she LOVED the dishcloth, and asked if I would make her more as her daughter keeps trying to steal it.

So I’m going to make her some more. I say go for it. They are really cool.

One word of advice - don’t use varigated yarns on something with a design. I learned that one the hard way Doh!

Why?

Why?

I used a varigated red, white, and pink cotton yarn to make a dishcloth with a raised heart motif. You can’t see the heart at all :frowning: It’s pretty, but I was really hoping that the heart would stand out some. I read somewhere else online that varigated tends to do that, so I’ve only made that mistake once.

Thanks for posting this question. I was begining to wonder the same thing. So… do you use it for washing dishes? Sorry, I still don’t really get what they’re used for ^_^;;

I use mine. I give them away and other people use them. They last longer than store bought.

Oh, I get it. But if you’re doing a simple dishcloth with no big pattern, it’s not an issue. Thanks, that makes sense.

I love knitting them. I use Sugar & Cream which is very absorbent. I tend to baby them though, can’t let them anywhere near bleach bc I use the coolest, brightest colors I could find. Colors I would never wear, but are fun to work with.