Knit Tips & Tricks

@Nhnancy Please start a new post with your question in the General Forum. You’ll get more responses.

And welcome to KH!

So, as a beginner I’ve learned a few tricks I like to use. I transfer pattern instructions (by row) to index cards… 1 row, 1 card. I put them on a stand up business card holder so I can see them as I knit. I use a row counter that slides on to one needle. For patterns that repeat every so many stitches, I use stitch markers. I found a bag of split rings in the “beading” section… 120 for $2. After starting and restarting the same project numerous times, I have started to use a lifeline more often. My best advice to a beginner is to learn NOT to pull stitches too tight. It makes stitches like k2tog or ssk almost impossible!

Appreciate your good advice. Everything you mention is an important lesson and a good reminder too.

I use loom bands for my stitch markers as you can get shed loads for about a £1.
Don’t knit whilst watching an enthralling programme/film!
Animals and wool is a bad idea :laughing:
Read each line of a pattern at least twice.

@Evie What’s a loom band?

I use stitch markers and occasionally pencil and paper. If it’s a complicated pattern I also use highlighter tape to mark may place and move it down as needed.

It was a big craze here in the UK for a while, not sure about the US

Oh I see… well, it could have been a craze here at some point. I often don’t know what the kids are up to now since my kids are grown. :wink:

They were pretty popular here in the US two or three years ago. They are still around, just not the big thing at the moment. Erin has a ring loom which she uses pretty infrequently. She often just uses her fingers to make bracelets. Very ingenious of her, except I worry her fingers are going to fall off from lack of circulation. :hand_splayed:

GRAPHS. I don’t use graph patterns, just written ones, but having both right there in front of you is a total life saver! Seeing it in graph form is a “magic trick” I use to get a good picture of the pattern.

PRINTING out the pattern is a huge help too. Even if you are using a written pattern, if you have the graph printed out right there you can highlight to check off the rows you’ve completed.

KNITTING LOGS: Another trick of mine is the free patterns on the back of the yarn wrappers, or old newspaper patterns etc, I keep in a folder in a plastic sleeve or I just paste or tape them to paper, I have a 3 hole punch thingie I use to keep them in an old school hard plastic folder. I have extra pages where I write down which pattern, what gift when to whom, the date and how much yarn used, stitches etc or other tips for that pattern.

PRINT PATTERNS never rely on saved patterns in your computer. You never know what might happen. I print them out regardless, that way I always have them. Its much easier and less confusing when I am looking for a pattern to flip through a folder of patterns on paper than trying to find it in my computer some place.

I love your straw idea. If I ever get beyond a scarf I will remember this! Thank you! Good luck with the thread I’ll read some more! Shar

I also keep my projects in xlarge zip lock bags

I keep my patterns in plastic sleeves which i then place in 3 ring looseleaf notebooks. .ha ha i currently have about a dozen each one is broken down by category, such as womens sweaters, accessories, baby outfits, etc.

Yes it wss a craze here too

This is so funny!! I had the same problem “getting” counting rows, so I did exactly tly that… wrote out the rows and tickeD them off as I did each row… I also marked how many stitches were supposed to be left after the dereases checked Tha t too!! Good for you!

I really like that idea! I’m a relatively new knitter, but I find it difficult to read a pattern that has multiple sizes on it, so I take my pen (yes, a gel pen works best for me) and write out the pattern, row by row ( for the most part) and tick each row off… having it on cards would certainly save paper and I could come back to that same pattern!!! You guys are brilliant…:blush: although I have to say I can only do one project at a time…:smile:

I find that helpful also especially when you have a pattern with increases and decreases

Hi there, I have as a last resort used pieces spare thread, not ideal but better than nothing.

Well, I got some useful tips for beginners:

1. Use circular needles (even when you’re knitting flat)

Circular needles are more portable
It’s easier to handle a lot of stitches
You reduce the risk of dropping stitches

1. The crochet hook is a knitter’s best friend

Fix dropped stitches
Picking up stitches to knit
Adding fringe

1. Create a neat edge with an easy chain slip stitch

2. Match the stitch to the yarn