Knit Tips & Tricks

Great idea!
I was thinking…:think: the Quaker Oats tubular can would hold a skein of yarn, you could cut a thin strip from the edge to the center of the lid for the yarn to go through. You could make two for two skeins. I suppose you could even spiff 'em up with contact paper…hmm…I think I might try this…oatmeal anyone? :wink:

Another thought…put your knitting bag…container…on a lazy susan, and twirl it around as you go. (this would work at home as you wouldn’t want to be carting that lazy ol’ susan around) :wink:

We went on a trip, and I FORGOT my knitting. So, off to Wally to get needles and some redheart yarn. I have a slipper request, and pattern memorized. It uses 2 colors, 4 strands. How to keep untangled…Voila, the walmart bag!. I put all 4 skeins in, then 2 strands out through each of the 2 handle holes, and my project on the outside of the bag. Then, I tied the 2 handles together right up at the top and everything is nicely contained. I put the bag inside a 2nd bag, which conains the actual project. It really works! Nothing flopping around on the floor etc.

Take your Quaker Oats tubular can and cut it so it is a little taller than your yarn ball. Punch a hole in the top and one on each side of the can. Put a piece of cord from the outside to inside and knot it on each side of the can for a handle. Put your yarn in the can, thread the yarn through the hole in the top and put the handle over your wrist for a knit and carry container.

This is a tip I learned the hard way!
When you have to frog part of a garment and re-knit after you already blocked, frog, and use NEW yarn OR put your yarn in hanks and wet it down and let it hang with a weight on it.

I learned this while trying to get the size right for a sweater I’m making for my MIL who is very fussy about fit. So my next tip is:
Don’t offer to knit a sweater for a picky MIL!:roflhard:

First, when i am working a pattern that i am not making up from the top of my head (which happens alot when i crochet, i am new to knitting), i have the pattern put on a zip drive for my laptop. then i can have instant access at anytime. I get migraines from light sources (house lamps, car headlights, computer screens, etc), so i have low level lights in the house. but i can back highlight the lettering on the patterns (make the background black and the letters white) and have less problems, therefore able to do more work. other things about using a laptop for patterns is i can highlight special instructions or repeats, increase fonts when the pattern is very small, etc. plus it cuts out the paperwork and clutter in the livingroom! i keep hard copies in storage somewhere, but since i have backups for the computer, i never need them.

as someone said earlier, i also use the 1 and 2 gallon size zip loc bags for projects or even for storing yarn. i have pets and even tho they are supposed to not get near my projects, they are pets! i keep lint removers nearby and also lint-free cloths (towels) so if i am working on something for a baby or someone outside of family the items are never in contact with animal dander. boy do my cats love baby items! :teehee:

i keep all buttons and decorations in a small tackle box, boxes sold in the craft section are too expensive!

i mark rounds with small (1/4 inch) remnants of yarn. everyone has snippets around!

victoryah

… forgot one thing… i am into recyling… like everyone else!!! back to the kitties!!! lots n lots of litter!!! i use the plastic pails the litter comes in for storing yarn in or my current projects. is tall enough to hold the tallest of knitting needles. some of the containers have nice lids that fit back easily on. i cover with a piece of material i have sewn and put elastic in the top and bottom so it fits over it… no one can see that it is a kitty litter box!

the boxes stack perfectly on top of each other for storage, as well…

I haven’t read this whole thread, but I think this is a good idea. One of my friends had bought this plastic container to hold yarn. I took an old Folgers can (the big one) and cut a hole in the top. I really like it and can keep a couple of extra needles and the yarn in it.
Sorry if this is a repost.

That’s a great idea. Where I work, I have an empty oatmeal container every other day. I’ll start bringing some home and pass this tip along to my knitting group at work.:thumbsup: :cheering:

I used a clear cannister from a set that I bought for another use. I have been known to use very clean mayo jars.

I can fully relate to the migraines, I have them too. Makes it very hard to knit:wink: The new blood pressure meds I’m on has cut mine in half, and reduced the severity and lenght of the ones I do get.

Like others have said, I’m new and I probably don’t have much, and probably nothing that isn’t obvious, but these are some of the things I do:

1. I do use paper and pen, if, say, the instructions are to knit rows 32-39 evenly, I just write down those numbers and cross them off as they are done. Or for other patterns, such as decreasing rows on DPNs or whatever.

2. I keep all my knitting stuff in a plastic bin: patterns and books in the bottom, DPNs in their original envelopes, leftover yarn (all in plastic ziplock bags with their labels), and other knitting notions.

3. I have a knitting ruler with the holes in it for identifying unmarked needles.

4. My biggest fear when I started was a needle slipping out, so I bought some rubber point protectors. People would laugh at me seeing me knit in the round on DPNs with these 6 big red points jostling around!

5. Speaking of knitting in the round on DPNs, when I had to start with a very small number of stitches, like 8, or 4 (I don’t do i-cord), in order to identify which way the needles should point ('cause they do twist around before you get to them), I would mark one end of each needle (all the lefts or all the rights) with these point protectors.

6. I try to foresee any parts of the pattern that should be marked, such as where you started decreasing, if you need to find it later.

7. If I am doing matching parts (2 legs of a stuffed toy) and the pattern only says to work for a certain number of inches, I also keep track of how many rows it took to get to that length, and try to do the same on the other.

8. I use small rings of yarn as stitch markers, because they are very flexible, and come in a unlimited number of colours, can be made to size, and are easily removed.

9. I love my new interchangeable needles, and I change the length of my cable a lot, depending on how comfortable it feels.

10. My grandmother-in-law always uses safety pins to mark things, including the right side.

11. I generally work with a copy of the pattern instead of the original, so I can mark on it, it won’t get lost or torn by my daughter, etc.

12. When knitting in the round on DPNs, I vary the spot where the needle change occurs, to avoid vertical lines caused by tension changes. When doing magic loop, I leave the last 1-2 stitches that were worked on the right needle.

13. I bought a couple of balls of yarn at the dollar store, and whenever there’s a new technique or something I’m not sure of how to do I test it out on the cheap yarn first.

That’s all I can think of for now. I’ll let you know if there are any more.

A couple more:

1. I try to calculate the approximate number of stitches in the entire project. This helps me to estimate yarn requirements, time involved (if I am on a deadline), etc.

2. If I am trying to figure out yarn requirements, etc, I’ll measure off a given length of working yarn, say, 20 inches from where it leaves the last stitch worked, toward the ball, and mark it with a clothespin. Then I work say 10 stitches, measure what’s left of this measured yarn, subtract to find out, say, that 10 stitches took 12 inches of yarn, so 10000 stitches will take about 333 yards, if my math is correct.

MrsWildchild - Great ideas.
>9. I love my new interchangeable needles, and I change the length of my cable a lot, depending on how comfortable it feels.<

What kind of interchangeables? I really like my Denise.

Gertie, I LOVE my KnitPicks options.

Yes, mine are, too, though I didn’t necessarily choose them because I thought they were superior. I don’t have the luxury of a local yarn shop. The only real craft store around here had never heard of them (my husband was going to get some as a gift). So I mail-ordered them. The prices of the Denise ones, and their shipping rates were reasonable, so that’s really why I got them, but I really am satisfied with them. Of course I didn’t have the pleasure of comparing any other ones by physically examining them and trying them out. By the reviews everyone is giving on this forum, all the popular sets are good choices. After using them a little bit, though, I wonder if the cables on other brands are thinner or more flexible. All in all, a good buy, anyway.

Happy knitting!

[QUOTE=MrsWildchild;1223721]By the reviews everyone is giving on this forum, all the popular sets are good choices. After using them a little bit, though, I wonder if the cables on other brands are thinner or more flexible. All in all, a good buy, anyway.QUOTE]

Right. From what I’ve read, all the major brands have their advantages.

I’ve heard that the others’ cables are thinner. Since I don’t do magic loop, this doesn’t bother me. I like the Denise cables. I also like that I don’t have to be concerned about the tips unscrewing. Also, the points don’t hurt my right index finger. But this is just another matter of personal choice.

On the interchangeables, we really need to follow the rule of agreeing to disagree. :thumbsup: (But of course we must follow that rule all the time.)

Have a good :knitting: weekend!

Good. I’m glad you found a set that works for you.

You have a good :knitting: weekend, also.

I have been knitting for 2 years but I have only done 3 scarves. The first scarf was for DH. I was a newbie and didn’t know the best way to introduce a new skein plus the dye lots weren’t the same. :doh: He likes it anyway. The second scarf was for me. I used 2 strands of Homespun and size 17 needles. Made a mistake on it and it sat for 8 months until I finally had my sister fix it for me last Thanksgiving. Last week, I finished a scarf for DS #2. He loves it even though it isn’t anything special…just k1, p1. This week, I am really getting brave. I am making a hat to match DH’s scarf. I bought circular needles and a contrasting yarn. So far, it is going well…once I got used to holding the circular needles. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I have made a document with all the ones that I would like to implement.

Way to go. Hats are great and quick and get you to feeling like an expert! Plus, getting brave is what advances your knitting! Who cares WHAT it looks like in the end? If a designer makes a wonky-looking scarf they call it an innovative idea, but if a beginner does it it’s a mistake?!? :nails: I think NOT!

My knitting advanced by leaps and bounds when I found KH because the videos totally showed me ‘I can do THAT’!!! So my 2nd FO after finding KH was a fair isle dog sweater, thanks to that KH video! Needless to say, KH ROCKS!!!:notworthy:

So just go for it, EVERYONE! ‘If it doesn’t fit, you don’t HAVE to a gift’…ok, ok, I know, bad play on an old O.J. joke. But the point is, if it doesn’t fit or goes awry there’s no shame in ripping back and starting over! I’ve made 2 hats which turned out badly because I didn’t bother to gauge swatch and substituted yarn which (if you look in my Ravelry projects page) are funny because one looks more like a yalmulke and the other is so tiny it fits my tiniest dog’s head. Made for a good picture on Ravelry but might be too small even for a premie.

We learn much more from our mistakes then from our successes someone once said.

OK, off my pep-talk soap-box now. :hug: to all my KH family and may you all have a blessed and wonderful weekend. I know I will because DH and I made up. Around here that means :wink: AND pizza! And if I’m lucky even a little yarn. :roflhard:
:muah:

Arielluria,

Thanks for the pep talk. It’s encouraging. Perhaps I will try to take a picture of the hat so far. (I’m actually just making up the pattern as I go so I don’t know how it will turn out.)

Are you also Arielluria on Ravelry?

BTW, I like your scripture (in sig).