Knit one stitch into the next stitch

If knit one stitch into the next stitch means to knit into the front and back of the next stitch, then why doesn’t the author of the pattern just say that? Knitting can be so confusing to us newbies.

Welcome to KH. What pattern are you doing? That seems rather odd to me.

It is called the Celtic Dreams circular shawl by Catherine m. Thomson

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Increasing in a stitch doesn’t necessarily mean kfb. There are several ways to do this kind of increase. The designer is probably suggesting that you increase [I]in[/I] a stitch as opposed to [I]between[/I] sts.
See the increases here, some of which, KLL, KRL for example are also increases in a stitch.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

The shawl is stunning and quite a project to take on. Beautiful.
https://books.google.com/books?id=hBSq_0eVSvkC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=celtic+dreams+catherine+m+thomson&source=bl&ots=rIXOl7HaC8&sig=btPg-VV4S6jdh0JONorgumIIs4I&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAGoVChMIqo6pofWTxgIVypENCh2StQC4#v=onepage&q=celtic%20dreams%20catherine%20m%20thomson&f=false

see p.116

Thank you salmonmac for your thoughtful contribution to my question. I think I need to go back and reread the whole pattern again. I was reading my newly gotten books last night while I had a migraine and am thinking perhaps I misread the instructions. Under the authors abbreviations and symbols section she shows a black diamond that is suppose to symbolize (knit one stitch into the next stitch) and I just didn’t think the instructions for this was very explanatory. Didn’t realize there were so many different increases. Learned something new thanks to you. So thank you very much for the information gained. :slight_smile:

Sometimes it helps to try one repeat of a chart to make sure that you understand the pattern, are getting the correct look and the correct stitch count.
You can also check the stitch count across the row with the diamond and the next row to see if they add up correctly.