Knit new stitches?

Something mentioned in my other thread has been bothering me, so I thought I would make it a new question.

When you cast on new sts, do you have to knit them immediately? Or is it a matter of the method you CO, or of preference?

Example, I had to CO 16 new sts at the beginning of a row. Are these knitted immediately, or only at the end of the next row?

Hope this makes sense!

Hey Wenda! Nice to see you over here! :slight_smile:

I had to cast on at the beginning of the row when I did some bunnies for my God babies. I did backwards loop at the end of the previous row, and then when I turned the work those stitches were at the beginning of the row so they were knitted first. HTH!

Hi Carey!

I think I was too stuck on thinking I shouldn’t knit them immediately. I won’t make that mistake again!

When you cast on at the end of the row (or beginning, depending on how you look at it), you do knit those st right away. If you’re casting on in the middle of a piece, say for a buttonhole or a purse handle opening, those will get worked in the next row as you work your way back.

When you co at the end/beginning of a row, you have to knit them to get to the rest of your stitches on the row.