Knit into stitch below increase

My pattern has not stated what sort of increase to use and having recently seen the knit into stitch below increase on the forum I decide to use that rather than M1L and M1R, partly because when it came to the increase my fabric was a bit loose goose and I didn’t want to change the tension by lifting the yarn bar, but also I just thought I’d try out a new thing.

I’m knitting into the stitch below and then into the stitch itself to increase 1 stitch. I am doing this both ends of the row.
Is there a mirror for this increase? I can’t see a really difference on what I’ve worked and wondering if there just isn’t a difference?

You can knit into the stitch from the left side rather than from the right. Work up to the stitch into which you want to make the increase. Knit that stitch then knit into the stitch 2 rows below (two rows below because you’ve knit an extra row on that stitch). You need to keep this increase loose enough that it doesn’t pull up on the stitch. It’s similar to the knit left loop (KLL) increase.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve heard of going 2 rows below because the row has been already worked, but just at this point can’t quite see how to knit from the left side. I’ll look this up for increasing my understanding, but I think on my project I’ll just continue as i have been.

In the case of the increase from the left it may help to insert the right hand needle into the opening, place it on the left needle then knit it.

1 Like

Lifted increases are my favorite for most applications. I’ve gotten so I usually don’t actually lift the stitch, just work into it. I use the tip of the right needle to go into the second stitch below for the left leaning increase but I’d done a lot of lifted increases before I realized it would work and tried it. Lifting the leg as salmonmac suggested is probably the better way if you’ve never done it before. I like this video because she uses another needle to really show which stitch she’s talking about.

1 Like