Knit Help!

I am currently making a front sweater with my straight needles. I have a lack of understanding with this instruction. Can you please help me to understand? Before you read, I am working the stockinette stich; Purl and Knit. I just finished 19 1/2 inches. I do not want go farther because i dont want to mess it up. Please help me to understand with the neckband and shoulders! Thanks!

[B] (Front) [/B]
Work as for Back until piece measures approximately 19 (19 1/2, 20, 20 1/2, 21, 21 1/2) inches from beginning ending with a knit row. Work Neckband rows 1-5.

Neck Shaping: On the next right side row, knit 13 (16, 19, 22, 25, 28) stitches, bind off the center 22 (23, 24, 25, 26, 27) stitches, knit to end.

Right Shoulder: Purl 9 (12, 15, 18, 21, 24), knit 4. Knit across next row. Repeat last 2 rows until piece measures approximately 22 (22 1/2, 23, 23 1/2, 24, 24 1/2) inches from beginning ending with a wrong side row. Bind off knitwise and loosely.

Left Shoulder: With the wrong side facing, join yarn at neck edge. Knit 4, purl to end. Knit across next row. Repeat last 2 rows to same length as Right Shoulder, ending with a wrong side row. Bind off knitwise and loosely.

Welcome to KH. You’ve come to the right place for help. Can you link to your pattern? If not the name would be helpful as even a picture can sometimes help clarify.

What are the neckband instructions? I want to assume that the following is telling you how to do the neckband but I’m not sure and they may be written out somewhere else in the pattern. What specifically is hanging you up?

Sure! Here is the copy:

I want to clarify the understanding of the neckband. I still am a “Beginner”.

Thanks!

Thanks for the link. Have you already done the back neck?

The instructions for Neck Shaping and Right Shoulder and Left Shoulder come next. Following them as written will produce a garter stitch border.
[I]
Neck Shaping: On the next right side row, knit 13 (16, 19, 22, 25, 28) stitches, bind off the center 22 (23, 24, 25, 26, 27) stitches, knit to end. [/I]

For this part, knit the correct number of stitches for your size and bind off the center stitches counting the loops that you pass over the other stitch for your bind off count. At the end of the bind off there will be one loop left on the right needle which will count as one of the stitches for the other shoulder. This is confusing to many people the first time(s) they have to do a bind off in the center.

Happy :knitting: and we love pictures so please feel free to post some if you wish.

Yes, I have finished the back neck row. :cheering:

I do not have a problem with Bind Off in the center.

However, the only problem I’m having is “Neckband row 1-5”
[I]Hear me out before you understand my problem.[/I]

I have already reached to 19 1/2 inches in stockinette stich.
I would have to start with the knit row to do the neck shaping.

[B]Do I have to repeat the “neck shaping” for 5 rows?
But what about the purl in next row?
[/B]

You’re getting so close to done and that’s exciting.

Just work the right shoulder as indicated. You may use exactly 5 rows for the correct measurement, you may need more. You’ll alternate knit and purl rows (with 4 knits at the end). HTH If I’m misunderstanding somebody else will know what you’re asking.

[I]Right Shoulder:
Purl 9 (12, 15, 18, 21, 24), knit 4.
Knit across next row.
[B]Repeat last 2 rows until piece measures approximately 22 (22 1/2, 23, 23 1/2, 24, 24 1/2) inches from beginning ending with a wrong side row.[/B] Bind off knitwise and loosely. [/I]

Wait!! I am so confusing!

You don’t [I]repeat[/I] rows 1-5 of the neck shaping.
As I understand it, you’ve finished 19 1/2 inches in stockinette and then you work the neckband instructions for rows 1-5. On the next right side row, do the bind off of the center sts and knit to the end of the row and turn. Now you have two sets of 16 sts for the shoulders on the needle with the bound off 23sts in the center separating the two sets.

Work on the right shoulder:
Purl 12, knit 4. (this is the purl row or wrong side row)
Knit across next row. (this is a knit row or right side row)
Repeat last 2 rows until piece measures approximately 22 inches from beginning ending with a wrong side row.
Bind off knitwise and loosely.

These 2 repeat rows will give you a garter stitch collar of 4sts at the neck edge.

Oh, I get it now! Thanks!