Knit Even

Hi everyone.

I am doing a hat in the round that reads like this:

Rnd 1: k4, p1, p2tog, p1, repeat around Rnd 2: work even
Rnd 3: k1, k2tog, k1, p3, repeat around
Rnd 4: work even Rnd 5: k3, p1, p2tog, repeat around
Rnd 6: work even
Rnd 7: k2tog, k1, p2, repeat around Rnd 8: k2, p2tog, repeat around Rnd 9: k2tog, p1, repeat around Rnd 10: k2tog, repeat around – 9 sts remain

the “work even” part means to repeat the previous row again?

I am not entirely sure what it means.

Please and Thank you!

Greetings!!
Could u post a picture of the hat?? So we could have an idea of what you’re talking about.

Thanks
Knitcindy

Of course!!!

It’s not the clearest photo but it’s the only one the website had up

I will attach a photo of the hat and the full pattern image

Follow the pattern. You first do the rib pattern for 9 inches. The rest of the pattern is for the decreases at the top of the hat. Follow directions for row 1. When you get to row 2, you will “work even”. In other words, knit row 2 without any decreases. To save space, they don’t always write out the pattern line by line. Look at your work. Knit the knots and purl the purls. Knits will look like little V’s. Purls will look like turtlenecks on a sweater.

I do understand the ribbing pattern for 9” and it all makes sense except the work even part.

So that means that I kit without any decreases but what am I actually knitting? The previous row again?
For example, row 1 is k4, p1, p2tog, p1, repeat around then the second row says “work even”.
Meaning I do the first row again but without decreasing any. Is that correct ?

Thanks so much for help!

What “work even” means is that on the next row you will knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches, as you come up to them.

If u look at the picture u will see sections of v sts and sections of “bumps”. The v sts are knits and the bumps are purls. You want to keep those sections lined up with the previous rows. “Work even” means that for that row, you will knit or purl and keep those sections even within each other.

Knitcindy