Knit cuff/bracelet: why is it that sometimes, the top part ends up tighter than the bottom part, thus not fitting around my wrist? (see Youtube video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzT3Na6XBE&feature=youtu.be

Here’s a video of this one cuff I knitted, and as you can see the top is tight while the bottom is much more stretchy & flexible. Why is that? What mistake could I have made that would lead to the top being too tight all of a sudden? It’s not the first time this happens, and when it does, I don’t know where I went wrong… I’d really like to understand how to avoid this.

Please & Thank you

Is the top the CO or BO edge? Either way, it’s probably done too tightly. Use a different method or larger needle.

The bind off and cast on are often not the same tightness. Try using a bigger needle as Sue suggested.

Also please use the body of the message for your questions not the subject line. :hug:

I don’t understand… how would I ask a question then? What would I be supposed to put in the subject line? Something like “Issue with knit bracelet”…?

(Pardon me, I am new at forums and this website. I usually use Yahoo! Answers.)

Also, I’m not sure that the needle size is part of the issue because I’ve made 3 other cuffs that were just as loose on the top part as on the bottom part and fit perfectly around my wrist. I make a row of 28 stitches (to go around my wrist) then I just knit till it seems like a proper thickness.

I’m not 100% familiar with the vocabulary involved in knitting so I can’t really answer the question about the CO or BO thing. I am self taught via Youtube videos, not by stinginess or laziness but having no other choice. I can barely afford the yarn in the first place…

Right, just make your subject line short, then the full question and any explanation goes into the message. Web forums are a little different than Yahoo answers, they’re a bit more like emails than text messages.

And I forgot to mention it before - welcome to Knitting Help!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

It just makes it easier to read if the question is in the body or text of your post. :hug:

Welcome to Knitting Help! To help you with abbreviations there is also a glossary at the tabs on the top of the page along with some great videos. The videos are free. :thumbsup:

There are lots of knitters who only buy yarns at hobby,craft and discount stores and there are those who only buy yarn at yarn stores. It doesn’t matter where you get it if you like it. :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome. It may be that this particular yarn was a little “grabbier” and not as smooth as the other yarns you’ve used. Or it could be that you tightened up on the cast on or the bind off without thinking about it. Using a larger needle for the beginning or ending (and the correct needle size for the main part of the wristband) should help solve that problem. If it’s the bind off that’s too tight, you can undo and re-knit.
There are also very stretchy cast ons and bind offs to try.

For me, my cast on is tighter than my bind off. I suspect that’s what’s going on. What I do is when I bind off, I PURL all the stitches rather than knit them. This makes the cast on and bind off look the same. It also pulls the bind off in a little. Try it and see what you think. And welcome to KH!

Alright, well I’ll try using a larger needle at the final bind off, see if that helps… Because my bind-off is definitely too tight.

Thanks guys :heart:

As it turns out, using a bigger needle at the end didn’t make a difference. I think it may have even ended up slightly tighter than usual. Even my 12 year old sister was having a hard time putting it on her wrist. This is an issue I only have with the bind-off, not the bind-on. Could it be that the fact that I pull on the string each time I knit a stitch during the bind off? I do this while I knit the entire cuff, to make sure that it is tight. Should I not be doing this at the bind off? Should I just be binding off in a very loose fashion?

Or perhaps… would it just help you guys better to understand if I made a video showing how I bind-off?

I just recently learned how to purl, so that much I understand. But are you saying that if I purl INSTEAD of binding off, it’s going to finish my knit just the same? Or is it something I should do before binding off…? I’m a little bit confused. Willing to try anything to get this frustratingly repetitive issue out of the way!

I just recently learned how to purl, so that much I understand. But are you saying that if I purl INSTEAD of binding off, it’s going to finish my knit just the same? Or is it something I should do before binding off…? I’m a little bit confused. Willing to try anything to get this frustratingly repetitive issue out of the way!

Yes, don’t pull the yarn very much at all when you bind off. You should never pull the yarn tight at all when knitting. If you want smaller stitches, go down a needle size. Making the next stitch tightens up the previous stitch so there’s no need to pull the yarn or you end up with sts that a just too tight to work.

But are you saying that if I purl INSTEAD of binding off, it’s going to finish my knit just the same?

The poster above was saying that if you purl sts as you bind off instead of knitting them, they may be looser. It would be like binding off on a purl row. So instead of k2 and lift a stitch over to bind off, purl 2 and lift it over, then purl the next and lift over and so on.

Ah… I understand. Okay, I will definitely try making my knitting generally much looser by stoping this string-tightening of mine. I will also try the purl bind off trick. Will give news shortly.

I always use a larger needle to bind off. For instance, if I was knitting with a US8, I’d use a US10 to bind off. Sometimes even bigger than that! Maybe a US13! I try different sizes in the right hand needle to bind off, and if I still think it’s too tight looking after a few bindoffs, I undo it and start again with an even bigger needle.

Err… I’m having an issue with the purl bind off. It should be really simple seeing that I can purl and I can bind off, but every time I try, I have to start all over again because something goes wrong. I show this mistake in this video:

Can someone help me figure out what that mistake is and how to fix it…? I know I ask allot of questions in this forum but it is greatly appreciated…!

Hm… I did try it with a bigger needle already and it was still too tight. I’m not familiar with the sizes of needles yet, I get them in a bin in a church sale for close to nothing cost wise… (sigh. better than nothing!) and the ones I have don’t have numbers on them on the top like I noticed some do.

Howeber, I can say that the needle I used at the end was about 1 1/2 times the size of the one I used to knit the cuff up to that point. The end result was that it was just as tight as usual, only the bind off area seemed to be thicker than the rest of the cuff. Strange…

Should I try an even bigger needle at the end? Like 2x the size of the one I use normaly? Or do you think there might just be something really wrong with the way I bind off period… hahaha

Okay, take a look at the purl only Video again. You’re wrapping the yarn around the back of the needle as well as the tip. That’s why you’re getting 2 sts. Keep the yarn toward you all the time and when you wrap it make sure it only goes around the tip.

When we say a purl BO, we don’t mean do a row in purl and bind off, we mean that instead of knitting the sts when you bindoff, purl them as you go instead.

I don’t know if you’ve watched the bind off videoon this site but it might help to do so. There are other videos for bind off but this is the one commonly used.