Knit and purl stitches

Hi guys, i have this pattern which ask me to knit the knit stitch and purl the purl stitch. I usually can handle this by myself. But this time, I increased several times in the second last rows. I used my understanding of knit and purl stitch to continue working, But i didn’t work out the way it should be.

My 2nd rows is on the wrong side, and that’s why i had knit the knit stitch and purl the purl stitch for the next two rows (alt rows).

And i have used the backward loop method to increase.

Can any one give me any suggestion of what i should do?

Or should i change the method i increase? This is a 1*1 ribing pattern, increase once on one stitch.

Which size are you making?
What is the name of your pattern?

The name is Aran jacket worth optional collar and matching beanie. It from the Patons book 5000 big baby 3&4 ply.
I’m making the size 6 months.

Really lovely cabled aran.
You can do the backward loop (or e loop) increase if you like. At this point in the pattern you’re almost at the change to the cable pattern, the Diamond Pattern panel. I would work the row after the increase row (a right side row) as given in the pattern then work the wrong side row as knit the knits, purl the purls. The following row begins the pattern stitch (Beg pattern) with its Diamond panel.

If that wasn’t your question, please let me know.

Well, that’s mean i only need to make one row with knit the knit and purl the purl right? I don’t need to care about the alt rows and just start the diamond panel row right? If i work 2 rows of knit the knit and purl the purl, the diamond panel row will be on wrong side. If i work 1 row, the diamond panel row will be on right side.
I was confused because i can’t recognise the knit and purl stitch, But now that i understand by watching video online. The question now is about the 2nd and alt rows. I have no idea how many rows i need to make with knit the knit and purl the purl.

Below is the 3rd row, which is the diamond panel row.

The increase row is a wrong side row (ws), then you change needles. The next row is a right side (rs) row. The row following is ws and you knit the knits and purl the purls.
Now you’re at the beginning of the pattern stitch. It begins on a rs row. From now on all the ws rows are going to be knit the knits and purl the purls.

Ohhhhh! I got it! So it like one row knit the knit and purl the purl, than diamond panel. K the k and p the p again, than diamond panel? Again and again. K the k will always on wrong side and diamond panel will always on right side!

Thank you so much!!! I finally get it.

1 Like

You’re right. You’ve got it exactly.

Hello,
I am now up to the left front, and I’m gonna start cast off and decrease in the next rows. However, from my opinion my left front looks like right front. I’m so confused, am i doing this right? Can any one tell me that I’m right or wrong?

The reason why I’m confused is because if I’m shaping the armholes of left front, i should shape the left hand side instead of right hand side. But if i follow what the pattern said, i will cast off in right hand side instead of left hand side.

Remember, left and right front are as you would wear the sweater.

When I look at the Ravelry photo of the cardigan, the large panel of most stitch is up the center front of the sweater. The front bands attach to the wider moss stitch. This looks like the left front to me.
The cast off for the armholes will be at the right edge with the right side (RS) facing (arrow).

ohhhhh, i see!!
That’s mean I didn’t nothing wrong. I just misunderstand the left front and right front.

Thanks

2 Likes