Knit and purl in the same row - what happens if I yarn over?

Although I’ve been knitting for 2.5 years now, I’m totally self taught (books, web, etc.) and just discovered an hour ago that I’ve totally been doing things totally wrong when going from knit to purl in the same row. I’ve been bringing the yarn to the front or the back OVER the needle making some funky looking extra loops. I realized what happened and have gotten good at knowing which loops I created and which are actually part of the original cast on and I’ve just gone on dropping those funky extra loops off the needle. My question is, does this yarn over mistake greatly alter the finished project?

I just finished my 4th afghan using this pattern (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-watr.html) and I really like it with the yo - it makes a nice, loose, stretchy afghan. I’m just wondering what will happen if I do it correctly next time.

Thanks!

Yes! yarn over means you are actually adding a stitch, so you are going to have a lot of stitches there.

If you yarn over on the knit side and realized you did this when you are starting your purl side… when you get to the ‘accidental yarn over’ just drop the stitch and don’t knit it and you won’t have an extra stitch. :thumbsup:

Thanks winter. That’s what I’ve been doing - you kind of have to because these “extra stitches” are quite hard to knit and. I’m just wondering what dropping that extra stitch does to the final product.

So long as you are dropping the proper stitch it won’t do anything at all, except maybe make the dropped part a bit looser. A trip through the wash could even it out tho.

It could make your stitches quite a lot looser and throw off your stitch gauge. Better to learn to move the yarn between the needle tips.

i am knitting socks or trying too, i have the yo problem, what am i doing wrong and how did you correct it? thanks
suz55:

Just remember that to knit, your yarn should be in back of your right needle. To purl, your yarn should be in front of your right needle. To alternate between those two stitches, you will have to move your yarn back and forth as needed. Once you practice it a bit, it will become second nature. Doing a dishcloth in K2P2 ribbing should help. Making sure you are moving your yarn back and forth correctly will also help maintain even tension.

Check out the video on this site. Go to “Basic Techniques” then “…and more” then scroll down to the section titled “Basic Stitch Patterns” and look at the videos for either ribbing or seed stitch. Either one will help you with the k1,p1 dilemma. :slight_smile: