knit 3 sts for every 4 rows around neck.

Hi all, I’m new to this and have been knitting a few months. Decided to try doing a cardi for my granddaughter but I have got stuck. I know how to pick up sts but I do not understand the next part. It says “Sew shoulder seams. Pick up and knit 1 st in every st and 3 sts for every 4 rows around neck. Knit 4 rows. Bind o knitwise on WS”. It’s the “knit 3 sts for every 4 rows” that’s confusing. I have tried looking for a video but all I get is tutorials on picking up sts. Can anybody help pleasss.
Much abliged
Chris

Hi and welcome to the forum!
It may be that the “in every st” refers to places where you are picking up al the bound off edge. This might be the back of the neck or at the front center.

Picking up 3sts in every 4 rows refers to a side edge (likely stockinette) where you’re picking up at the end of rows.
The video at about the one minute point, explains the reasoning for picking up in 3 rows, skipping the 4th and so on.

This is also a pretty clear video; again see about the one minute point.

Which pattern are you using? Can you give us a name or a link to it?

https://www.loveknitting.com/arches-baby-cardigan-in-cascade-220-superwash-quatro-w292 It’s the neck band I’m having problem with. The pattern is called Archers baby cardigan in cascade.

Many thanks

Cute pattern. Yes, the videos show how to work this along the row edges. As I mentioned, at the bound off sts, just pick up one in each stitch.

Sorry but the videos are stating to skip a stitch my pattern doesn’t say skip it says “Pick up and knit 1 st in every st and 3 sts for every 4 rows around neck” does that mean I pick an extra stitch up on each row as there are 4 rows of garter stitch.
Thanks

There are two directions here. One is to pick up one stitch in every stitch. Do that on the bound off areas of the fronts and back.
The other direction is for the areas where you are picking up along the edge of the rows, These are the areas between the bound off sections. So mainly up the front to the shoulders. Whether you pick up 3sts for every 4 rows or you pick up a stitch in 3 consecutive rows then skip the 4th row works out to the same thing.
For this part of the sweater, you’re picking up in stockinette stitches. You’ll be knitting every row for a garter stitch band but the place where you pick up sts in stockinette with a lace pattern.

Thanks so much I understand now. I was overthinking and it didn’t make sense thanks for your patients.
Kind regards
Chris

Great! We’d love to see a photo of this sweet cardi when you finish.