Kitchner stitch

Can the kitchner stitch be used to seam up any kind of seam–like the bottom of a pair of slippers that would ordinarily have a seam down the bottom of the foot? Or, what would be the best seaming technique for slippers? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Knitaholic :thinking:

Kitchener stitch is used to weave together live stitches–ones that have not been bound off.

If the seam edges are bound off, then edge-to-edge seaming is probably best.

http://www.knitting.co.nz/site/page_affix/toaffix_learntoknit13/

Is this the same as the mattress stitch? Would edge-to-edge be more comfortable for slippers? The mattress stitch has a thick seam on the inside of the slipper, making it very uncomfortable–would edge-to-edge feel better? I’ve never done edge-to-edge.

Thanks,

Knitaholic :thinking:

No, the edge-to-edge is not the same as mattress. With mattress you go in a half a stitch, so it leaves a ridge on the other side. Ok for sweaters.

The edge to edge is a way to avoid a bulky seam–it’s good for slipper bottoms as well as joining squares for an afghan, for example. I used it on the felted slipper bottoms and there is no noticeable seam.

Thanks for clearing this up–I did not know there was such a thing as an edge-to-edge stitch, so therefore, I have never used it. I thought most things were supposed to be seamed up in mattress stitch. So, guess what? I used the mattress stitch to sew up a slipper bottom–don’t think I’ll do that again, dumb wasn’t it?

Thanks,

Knitaholic

No, not dumb at all. Mattress makes the best looking seam. It just doesn’t work when you want something flat.

I have just learned something–I did not know that 'till I tried to walk in my slipper–if that won’t give you foot problems, I don’t know what will. I’ve started the other slipper and hope I can do the edge-to-edge seam. I finally learned the mattress stitch and love to do it. Well, I’ve got to get to my other slipper.

Knitaholic