Kitchner Help?

I’m trying to finish up the VW hat listed in the patterns here. I noticed people saying they used the kitchner stitch to close it up but I can’t figure it out.

How do I get my stitches onto two needles? I get how to do it if you’re seaming two pieces, but what if you’re just seaming one?

My “thread” yarn keeps getting wrapped up around itself and the needles. Is there something I should be doing to keep it out of the way? :??

Amy has a video on the kitchener stitch here http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques It really shows exactly how to do it.

Yeah that’s what I’m using, but she already has the stitches on two needles. I have 12 stitches on one needle and don’t know how to get them on two needles with the tips pointing the same way.

Just my 2 cents–the video on kitchener stitch on this site is the best resource I’ve ever seen on how to do it.

If you want to get the stitches onto two needles, just slip some of the stitches onto one of other needles (I’m assume you were doing this in the round.)

You can also finish off your hat without doing kitchener stitch (also called grafting). In fact the way I usually do it is to cut my yarn, leaving about a six inch tail, thread the yarn onto a darn needle, and pull it through the remaining loops on the needle. Slip the stitches of the needle and pull the stitches tight. You can then bring the darning needle through to the inside of the hat and weave in the yarn end.

I don’t think it is. You seam the top and then you seam the back. I don’t have circulars so I’m using a pattern for two straight needles.

You can also finish off your hat without doing kitchener stitch (also called grafting). In fact the way I usually do it is to cut my yarn, leaving about a six inch tail, thread the yarn onto a darn needle, and pull it through the remaining loops on the needle. Slip the stitches of the needle and pull the stitches tight. You can then bring the darning needle through to the inside of the hat and weave in the yarn end.

Will that leave a pointy tip? I think the reason some used the kitchner was to avoid that pointed tip.

I guess it really doesn’t matter since this is just my first hat and it’s mostly practice, but out of curiosity.