KH Monthly Challenge: September

In celebration of the autumnal equinox, johnny appleseed’s birthday, and back-to-school, your challenge this month is to knit the forbidden fruit… an apple!!

For inspritation:
The modern tradition of tossing rice at the happy couple evolved from an ancient practice of throwing apples at weddings – likely to the relief of the newlyweds

Greek and Roman mythology referred to apples as symbols of love and beauty.

The world’s larges apple peel was created by 16-year-old Kathy Wafler Madison on October 16, 1976, in Rochester, NY. It was 172 feet, 4 inches long.

saac Newton was supposedly sitting under an apple tree when he thought up the law of gravity

Apples are fat, sodium, and cholesterol free

In Latin, “apple” and “evil” sound the same… perhaps this is how the apple became central to the Garden of Eden.

I will be knitting Eve’s Bag by Mary Bruner from my bagatelle. The pattern isn’t available ont he website, but I bought it atWool and Company. I actually purchased the pattern months ago–I’m using manos in an earthy-looking colorway instead of black-- and as soon as I have time to knit, I’m starting this!!!

Remember, you don’t have to change your current project to join in the challenge! The challenge is to incorporate the KAL into whatever you are currently knitting… add an apple to your clogs, knit an apple-shaped dishcloth… you can use a part of the apple for your inspiration, like the color red, or the star-shape of the seeds in the apple’s cross section. Be creative!

Happy Knitting!

Great idea Hildie! Thank you for taking the time out to do this for us. I live in apple country, so there is always inspiration. Maybe I’ll start potholders or washclothes for the kids’ teachers!

Unique assignment/project! Hmm… maybe i’ll give something a try. That means I’ll have to go back to a yarn store. :happydance:
(I’m still happy about all the stuff I just got at JoAnn’s and spent less than $25)

Hildie what a great purse!! :smiley:

yes, and we all know how much I need another bag…

There are a few other apple patterns that I could find…
[color=blue]The Apple Hat
Knitted Apple Cloth[/color]

Hilde, honey, we KNOW that there’s no such thing as ‘too many bags’ just like there’s no such thing as ‘too many birks’ :wink:

This is kewl! And I have some red stash yarn too!! Astashination, here I come! :happydance:

Thanks for posting the washcloth site! I think I printed out every one. :smiley:

That apple hat is TOO cute! Thanks, knitqueen! Maybe I’ll be joining y’all this month. I’m a monogamous knitter, so it may be a challenge trying to figure out how to squeeze that hat in… :thinking:

A monogamous knitter? I had no idea there were such people on this forum! :rofling: :roflhard:

OMG, foldedbird, you don’t even know. I have this strange obsession with working on one project until it’s done…I can’t seem to juggle more than one at a time. I’m sooo envious of all those who can have several needles going at one time. :mrgreen:

See, I’m more envious of the monogamous knitters. Not only do I have many projects going on at one time, but I have little patience to complete some knitting projects…I always seem to find one better, hehe. I think it’s mostly because I have a limited yarn/needle supply!

oh rats I returned nicky epstein for the home knitting book yesterday at the library . it had the cutest felted apples in it.

Hmmm… ya think this could be modified to fit a 7 year old? :thinking:

Personally, I’d just use a bigger needle and/or a chunkier yarn.

I think you could use any rolled brim hat pattern and add the stem and leaves. It seems to be a pretty simple pattern. You could always add a few stitches to make bigger leaves and longer stem. Just an idea! :thinking: :thinking:

so many bags… so many birks… too little time… too little money sigh

I actually thought about knitting today! yay!

bigs hugs No worries Hildie! You’ll be knittin’ and a’purlin’ in no time. :wink:

Yay, I’m the first apple poster! :happydance:

So I wanted to learn intarsia, and I just got my copy of Knitting Over The Edge and it had a cute little apple chart in there, so I came up with this little guy. Not perfect, as I got kinda confused with so many strands of yarn, but a good learning experience!