Keeping rib pattern while increasing?

hello all, back with another Q).

I am working on the (cowl) neck of my first sweater. The instructions read as follows:

“Increase one stitch at the beginning and end of every 2 rows 8 times…Work even in 2x2 rib stitch until piece measures 13” from shoulder shaping".

In the picture, the neck ribbing looks uniform all around…my neck has 4 big wedges of “ribbing” where I’m doing the increases. I have racked my brain trying to figure out a way to increase while keeping the 2x2 rib…it defies logic! Is it possible?

(I am doing the neck in the round FYI)

Thanks in advance…I love this site!

“Increase one stitch at the beginning and end of every 2 [COLOR=“Red”]rows[/COLOR] 8 times…Work even in 2x2 rib stitch until piece measures 13” from shoulder shaping".

(I am doing the neck in the [COLOR=“Red”]round[/COLOR] FYI)

Slight conflict here. Rows vs rounds. You state the collar has four distinct ribbing sections? The patt doesn’t indicate how they want the incs inserted to maintain that patt?

There is a row/round conflict with your instructions.

That aside, you’re not going to be able to increase without it being noticeable–you’re adding stitches, after all.

If you are working in the round, when you get to the last stitch and it’s a knit, k,p into that last stitch. If it is a purl, p,k into the last stitch.

On the first stitch after the marker, either p,k into the stitch or k,p in the stitch.

You’ll want to end up with

[COLOR=Red]p[/COLOR]kkppkkppkkppkkpp[COLOR=Red]k[/COLOR] after the first increases

[COLOR=Red]pp[/COLOR]kkppkkppkkppkkpp[COLOR=Red]kk[/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]after the next increases[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]kpp[/COLOR]kkppkkppkkppkkpp[COLOR=Red]kkp[/COLOR]

No, she doesn’t specify how to keep the pattern :frowning:
I am managing ok in the round; I am using two markers and just doing my increases on either side of them.

Ingrid, your instructions make perfect sense…now I just need to figure out how to k and p into the same stitch!

Thanks gang

Wow, it’s working! Thank you very much!