K2 P2 rib hat - help!

Honestly sometimes I don’t know where my mind is. Last year I made a K4 P4 rib hat for my dad from a pattern that was on a flyer in Vogue Knitting (in Kureyon). The pattern is flat, but I adapted it for in the round.

I started another one tonight for a friend, but at the very moment I needed my brain the most, it betrayed me and I did k2 p2 rib instead. I have 3" and really don’t want to frog if I don’t have to…but the decreases I did for the k4 p4 rib won’t work.

Can anyone tell me how to do the decreases? For the k4 p4 rib, I purled 2 purls tog on the first decrease round, then knit 2 knits tog on the next decrease round, then I’m not sure, but I think I must have purled 2 more tog then knit 2 more tog and then I’m really not sure but it made perfect sense…

Looking ahead, it seems like the k2 p2 will lose its ribs before the proper slope is achieved if I do something similar.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can do something similar with the 2x2 rib too. On the first dec round, k2, p2tog, k2, p2, repeat. On the next dec round p2tog on the p2s you skipped the first time around; then do the same to the k2s on the next dec round - k2tog, p1, k2, p1, repeat and finally k2tog on the last dec round. Or you can alternate the p2tog with the k2tog every other round.

Brilliant! Thanks! :slight_smile: