K1, sl1, psso, k1 (sock question)

Hi everyone,

I usually slip a stitch as if to purl but when the pattern says the above, I was wondering if I should slip as if to knit?

Also, I am working my first socks using dpn. I am getting a hole in the area of the gussett. I am picking up the right amount of stitches along the heel but have this nasty little hole. For some reason it only happens on one side of the sock and not the other??? Any suggestions?

Take care,
Arlene

[size=2]The Mod Squad was here! :waving:[/size]

I hope you meant sl1, k1, psso. When I do this I slip as if to knit.

One of our sock genies is going to help on the heel question, though.

Hi Ingrid,

Thank you very much. So I gather that if you are knitting a particular row and it calls for the sl1, psso. You slip as if to knit but if it is a purl row then you would slip as if to purl.

Hopefully a sock knitter will get back to me. If not I will repost that particular part of my question with a subject of maybe “sock heel” or something like that.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Take care,
Arlene

Right–about the knit/purl thing. You will get more attention to your post for the sock heel if you post it as such, I think.

I’ve only knit a few pairs of socks so other more experienced knitters may have better ideas, but I tried this one (from Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles) with success. On the round following the one where you have picked up stitches, knit the ones right before and right after the instep through the back loop. This will twist the stitches and tighten up that annoying little hole. I also saw on Knitty Gritty where a sock expert knit all the stitches on the pick-up round through the back loop, although I haven’t tried that one myself yet. HTH!

Hi Ella,

Okay, to make sure I understand this right. When I picked up the stitches I knit them as I picked them up. So, on the next round I would knit into the back of all the picked up stitches, right?? (knitty gritty version)

Or, I would just knit into the back of the the ones right before and right after the instep on the round after I picked up and knit the stitches. So I would just be knitting into the back of 2 stitches on each side of the sock only on that round. Did I just make sense?

I wonder why I just have a hole on one side. It is either the k2 together side or it is the k1, psso side. I am very new to knitting and can’t tell which one is doing it.

Thanks for your help.

Take care,
Arlene

That sounds like you got it right to me. Here’s a link to a video on diy that shows picking up gusset stitches:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3484730,00.html

As for why the hole is on one side, you could be confusing which decrease to do when, goodness knows I still do that (I’m very directionally challenged!) I also use slip slip knit(SSK) instead of S1 K1 psso. You slip two stitches knitwise then put the left needle through the front of the right needle, wrap the right needle as usual and knit the two stitches together. It makes a decrease that slants the same as S1K1 psso, but I think it is easier. Good luck!

Okay, I will try that site. I also paid attention to what was happening and I will try to explain. I did the heel flap and then the rounded part. Next it says to pick up 11 stitches which went well (going from the heel to the toe). Next I go back to the K3,P1 ribbing on the other needle. There are 24 stitches on that needle so I end with a P1. That stitch is loose and sloopy. Then on the third needle I pick up 11 stitches (this time I am going from the toe to the heel). I can see a hole already. The hole only forms on that particular part.

I am not sure how to correct this and hopefully the video will help because I ripped it out again. I will get this if it kills me!!!

Take care,
Arlene

Progress report: The DIY Knitty Gritty site on sock knitting was a big help especially the two videos.

I redid the heel flap using SSK instead of the Sl1,k1,psso (which my pattern called for) and it looks much better. I think I was really stretching the psso stitch. The ssk is easier for me. Also since the pattern has me knitting the first stitch instead of slipping it, it was difficult for me to see where to start picking up stitches. So, when I started the heel flap, I put a stitch marker on both sides of it and also stitch markers on both sides of the instep. Now, I picked up the stitches along the side with no problem…just start and end where the markers are.

On the video she picked up an extra stitch in the corner but I was not sure which stitch was a corner stitch so I was not brave enough to do that. One sides corner stitch looked pretty obvious but the other side
wasn’t to me.

This is where I am right now. On my next knitting session I am going to knit into the back loops of the picked up stitches. I will report back with either tears of joy or sorrow.

I have no idea of how many times I have ripped this sock out. I have become an accomplished ripper!

Take care,
Arlene

Tis me again! Yes, I am crying tears. One eye has tears of joy and the other eye has tears of sorrow.

Working into the back loop of the stitches worked great. The picked up stitches now blend right in.

BUT, remember those corner stitches I was too much of a coward to put in? Well, the side I could not figure out where the corner was came out great…no hole. Alas, the other side (where that stupid purl stitch sits) where I could tell where the corner was but choose to ignore it has a whooper of a hole. So, I used my crochet hook, pulled up on that corner stitch, which by now was several rounds down (guess I thought it just might heal itself) worked that hook up through the hole (hole and ladders sort of) plopped that sucker up on to my needle and on the next round, I knit that nasty thing plus the stitch next to it together.

I, the wanna be perfectionist can’t even find the mickey mouse repair. Yeah, for me!

I am now on a roll as I finished all the decreases in the heel and am doing about 5 inches back to pattern stitching.

I am dreading the (I looked ahead) toe shaping though.

If you don’t hear from me again any time soon, that means “this sock did kill me”. Or, hopefully, it means “all is going well”.

Take care,
Arlene