K1,P1,K1 in next st....? Help, please

Hi, All. I’m new here at the forum (though I’ve used this website for quite some time to get help…it’s amazing!)

I am knitting a baby afghan on size 3 needles. The pattern reads as follows:
1st Row: Knit
2nd Row: K6. *(K1, P1, K1) in next st. Sl1. K2tog. psso.Rep from * to last 6 sts. K6.

Here’s my question (relating to 2nd Row):
After I knit 6, I am then increasing the next stitch by 2, correct? I pick it up, knit it, purl it, knit it. Is that right? Is that even going to be possible?? :shrug:
Thank you, thank you for any help you can give me!

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Yes; after you K6, you’re going to make three stitches in the next stitch (increasing by two) – knit it but don’t slip it off the left needle, bring the yarn forward, purl without slipping it off the left needle, bring the yarn back, knit and slip off. Right after that, you’re decreasing by two – k2tog makes one stitch out of two, and then the slip / psso is another method of decrease – so you’ll end up with the same number of stitches, just in a pattern.

And yes, it’s possible, but it may take a bit of practice to get comfortable with it. :slight_smile:

The key is to keep the yarn relaxed enough so you can move it back and forth for the add’l sts. If too tight it’ll just lock up. Keep a bit of slack and you’ll be fine.

cam

Thank you both! I’m a bit of a tight knitter, so I’ll try to keep this one nice and loose.
Thanks again!