Just wondering - does anyone else have this problem?

It isn’t the pattern, and it isn’t the stitches, but how it is presented.

I have pulled out my stitches and restarted this pattern 3 times in less than 90 minutes because I keep following the wrong “row” on the pattern sheet, for it is listed like

Row 1
Row 2 and all even rows
Row 3
Row 5
Row 7
Row 9

This time I am copying the pattern in another format and inserting the ‘missing’ rows.

But I am wondering:
Is it just because of my eyes or is this something others have struggled with too?

that has happened to me. especially if its a complicated pattern. if its complicated then the pattern writer should not be lazy and just include all rows. its just easier that way.

Reading any pattern is complicated for me still. I only learned how to start reading them in late June of this year.

And I think this would qualify for every odd row is a different pattern. So it is very confusing - at least to me.

But I have a unique disability and sometimes it is just a problem with my eyes, but my thought was the person who typed the pattern got a bit lazy. I am glad someone saw it my way. I feel much better.

I usually take my pattern and either make a copy so I can write on the pattern itself or I have the pattern and a blank piece of paper beside me, and I write down my rows or anything I need to remember.

I do whatever I need to do to make a pattern easier to follow. Mostly I write all over it, everywhere, and make marks sometimes to keep track of the rows I’ve done. I don’t have the particular problem you describe, for some reason remembering that every other row is all purl or all knit is easy for me, probably because it’s kind of a “free row”; you don’t have to think!

The thing that messes me up the most is all those numbers in parentheses. I am never using that first number, so I have to go through and circle my numbers throughout. If I download a pattern, I edit it to remove all extraneous information and I increase the size of the font.

This is why I prefer charted instructions over written.

Once you get over the initial confusion, charts really are much easier to read. Every row and every stitch is clearly defined.

I always just rewrite the pattern anyways so that I can write out each row and get over that confusion. I also use a little sticky arrow to help me remember where I left off. Writing it out also helps make sure you understand the directions before you start.

If its something simple, like Row 2 and all even rows - knit, I just write the even numbers in in between the odd rows so I can check them off as I go. But if the even rows are more complex than that, and its really bothering you, I would rewrite the pattern out. A little bit of time at the beginning will end up saving you tons of time later!!

i have to add a “me too” to the “making a copy” and the “marking off the rows”. and yes, i end up recycling the paper the pattern was on too courtesy of my 7 year old artist :slight_smile:

I hate it when they don’t at least add the “row 4: same as row 2” so that i can go through with my highlighter after finishing row 4 and highlight it as done.

none of the rows in this pattern are a simple k across or p across. They all have these “variations”.

I gave up on this one. Even copied I can’t get it right and working on size 4 needles the sts are so tiny I can’t see the pattern in the rows I had knit to recognize mistakes at the onset - and I was using a pastel solid colored yarn. I never worked in size 4 needles before which wasn’t helping me at all.

I know it is time consuming, but I have found that by typing out line by line of the instructions then printing them out, I don’t lose where I am at. It has worked perfectly for me.

I agree with silver. I always try to chart out any pattern with written instructions, and always use markers between each repeat. There’s probably a website out there that gives symbols and how to use them. Good luck Ellie:star:

That is what I ended up doing with this pattern but it was just too hard for me.

I copied and printed out the Falling Water Lace Scarf, which I am doing better with than the one I started this thread about. I deleted that other pattern together. The pattern didn’t look that hard but even printed out and crossing out each piece k2 knitted it, and crossed it out, I couldn’t get it to work. Size 4 needles may be another thing I just abandon as not workable with my eyes.

I have done patterns where they don’t list a row like all odds p across and not had a problem - but the pattern I gave up on had difficult rows with all kinds of inc and dec in each row, even the non printed repetitive ones.

Since I knit while sitting in front of the computer, I put the instructions into Microsoft Excel. Basically i’ll create my own chart, and mark off each row with a Finished next to it.

Its a great way to count rows easily too, especially while doing cables.

heels heels heels heels…BLEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH for that same reason, k one more than the previous…OK…I forgot what I had for breakfast, or even if I HAD breakfast. I despise that kind of heel.