Just learing knitting

Hello I have a pattern for a baby vest that says in one part of the pattern to knit 10 stitches, slip center 12 stitches on a stitch holder and then join a second ball of yarn and knit the last 10 stitches. I understand the knit 10 stitches and I understand put 12 stitches on stitch holder but I do not know how to then join a second ball of yarn at this point. How do I do that?. They say I will have two separate balls of yarn and can stitch the 10 stitches on both sides as the same time. I think I get what they are saying in theory (as they are separating the parts for the shoulders) but I do not know how to actual join the second ball of yarn. Thanks for your help.

It sounds like you’re probably working on the front/shoulder area. You will have have two skeins. To join just start knitting with the new skein. It will be a little loose at the join, but you can tighten that up when you weave in the ends.

Thanks Jan, I guess I will have to get someone here where I live to show me cuz where I am just learning and have never done it before I am lost with the vocabulary on the pattern.

After you’ve put the stitches on the holder pick up your new yarn and put your needle in the next stitch and start knitting. The terminology does take learning. You’ll get it. :slight_smile: If you have someone to help that might be easier. I will see if I can find a video for you, too so check back.

This isn’t quite the same, but you can get an idea.