Just a bit stuck on a pattern

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and just discovered it as I was looking for help. I am in the middle of a making a childs pull on hat in a cable pattern. I am about to move on the “shape crown” bit which has thrown me. It reads:

1st row: k2tog tbl, k4, patt 12 sts, k34, *sl1, k2 tog, psso, k4, patt 12 sts, k4, rep from *to last 2 sts, k2 tog.

I understand all the abreviations but what I am stuck on is the first bit of the instruction which says patt 12 stitches. Previous to the shape crown instructions was the main piece of the hat which was the cable bit so it has nothing to do with the shape crown bit if you know what I mean.

Am i correct in saying that k2tog, tbl, k4 - a pattern and to continue this for 12 stitches?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, work the stitch pattern over the next 12 sts

Possibly the cable part continues while you’re doing the decreases. That’s what the “patt 12 sts” means. Do the k2tog tbl k4 and then look at the sts from the previous row and continue that pattern. If it’s part of the cable, maintain the column of cable sts. Usually with these hats, the decreases begin in the sts [I]between[/I] cables so that there isn’t an abrupt end to the pattern.

Thanks girls for your help. I will muck around a bit and see what happens. :aww: