Joining Squares for and Afghan

I have a pattern that is created y knitting many squares, put together in strips. To add a new color the pattern calls for binding off on the right side then recasting on with the new color. I am really confused. It is supposed to create a ridge on the right side but I am baffled. If someone understands this or has another suggestion to join these knitted squares I would appreciate the feedback.
Thank you,
Deb

Can you link to the pattern, or type in a few lines at the point you’re confused about?

This is where I am stuck…thanks for your help. [On the 48th row, end ready for a right side row. Bind off loosely with the right side facing you and leave the last stitch on the needle. Turn, and with the wrong side facing you pick up under both strands of the bind off the same number of stitches that were just bound off.
(this created the ridge and separated the squares. If this is too complicated, can I just join a ndw color and start a new square?

Okay, that’s different, but doable. BO the row, then turn and pick up through each st on the BO. If you don’t know how to pickup sts, look at the video under the Tips tab.

Hi and Welcome to KH!!!

There isn’t really any reason you couldn’t. Personally that would be my choice. It wouldn’t have the ridge but would still work. Why bother binding off and picking up stitches if you can just change the color. Good luck with whatever you choose!

If this is too complicated, can I just join a ndw color and start a new square?

Yes. you could do it that way.

It will depend on the main st patttern you are doing, but I’ve just finished one worked like that. the ridge between colours is created with a few rows garter stitch. (2 ridges)
You could do 2 rows garter st, change colour then 2 more rows of garter st before continuing in pattern.

Is there a benefit to doing the garter stitch rows?, or is simply to create aesthic of ending one square and starting another?
Thanks again

Is it better to add the color on the purl row?

Is there a benefit to doing the garter stitch rows?,

No, it’s just a design element a bit like the ridge on your pattern. I just liked the way it looked but its not necessary.
You can change colour either side.