Is there a place on this board for non yarn snobs?

I feel like I need to be in a Knitting Anonymous meeting…“I’m miccisue, and I use acrylic yarn”. :verysad:

Seriously, for those who appreciate the natural fibers and high end yarns, more power to you. However, I’m starting to feel like those of us who use acrylics are on the outside looking in. I didn’t think I’d find this on these boards, but as more time goes by, the more acrylic users seem to be looked down on. :psst: There appears to be a constant push to “upgrade” to wool, alpaca, silk, etc.; when most times the reason acrylic is used is because we either want practicality or simply can’t afford to pay that much for a project.

All I’m asking is for a little understanding for those who use acrylic - we’re not lepers, we’re not any less of a knitter because of it. :shrug:

Thanks for listening.

OMG, I have never found this to be the case here, but I also haven’t been visiting as often so maybe this is something new.

I personally don’t find anything wrong with acrylic or non-natural fibers. I made a cowl neck sweater out of Bernat SuperChunky and it looks great… well at least the yarn part, not the cowl neck.

I can certainly see the case someone would make about natural vs non-natural as I use both and see differences, but again, I am really surprised you feel this way about the forum.

I’ll be interesting in reading what others think!

[color=blue]miccisue,

You are not alone, I use whatever seems to match my project. My DD wanted a throw and picked out the yarn at Walmart- Bubblegum (I am sure you can get a visual lol) I knitted it for her with pleasure. This weekend I visited a yarn shop that is wonderful not far from where we live and bought some Malabrigo :heart: for another project. Folks here look down on no one. They are just excited about their newest purchases of yarn to be fondled. :cheering:

anne [/color]

Count me in as an equal opportunity yarn user. :teehee: I just knit my DH a blanket out of 20 skeins of Caron Simply Soft. No way was I going to spend a lot of money on nice yarn for him to take on the ship. I also knit my daughter a pretty cool scarf out of Caron SS. I won’t use Red Heart Super Saver though but that’s just because it feels too rough to me.

:hug: I’m sorry you feel that way and I’m sure no one means to make you feel like that… we all have different budgets on what we can spend and I say as long as you are happy knitting with the yarn you have then knit away… I use a little bit of everything depends on the project and the budget I have for it… :muah:

I’m working on a light blue sweater using Red Heart Soft yarn. 100% acrylic baaaaaaby! :happydance:

I also refuse to use the Red Heart Super Saver. Way too rough for me and I have pretty bad hand eczema right now so I would like to save my skin. :teehee:

I think that you may be misinterpreting some comments. I don’t recall anyone being nasty or derogatory about acrylic any more than you’d expect from people expressing why they in particular prefer natural fibres and the things they dislike about acrylic for themselves, just as those who prefer acrylics are no more nasty and derogatory about the natural fibres than you’d expect from people expressing why they prefer acrylics and the things they dislike about natural fibres. People have a right to post things like ‘I never use acrylic because I don’t like the feel of it through my fingers/it’s not warm enough.’ etc. just as much as they do things like ‘I never use cashmere or alpaca or anything like that because it’s so expensive and it doesn’t wear well, it’s just not worth the results you get.’ etc.

I don’t know what you mean by being pushed to use expensive wools? Certainly if a poster sees a problem that may be improved with a natural fibre - like different softness/warmth/blocking qualities - he may say that x could help: but likewise, if he reads a post describing a problem to which he thinks the solution is using some acrylic-content wool - like ‘I’m getting pilling/bad wear/can’t afford such a big project because Debbie Bliss is SO expensive’ - he may suggest using that acrylic wool. I don’t see any misunderstanding or ‘looking down’. I actually envy you lot with a good range: there isn’t a lot of nice acrylic in my country, beside some ‘novelty’ wool, and I would like to be able to make gifts that wear well as well as being soft and blockable.
Most plain wool - read ‘not-merino’ is actually something I find quite rough and would hardly call high-end or luxurious. I think you’ll find as many people disliking Homespun etc. as acrylic wools.

miccisue, I myself use mostly manmade fibers to knit with (and when I chose to knit with an animal fiber, nine times out of ten, it’s Patons Classic Merino Wool, because it’s a great value for a natural fiber, and because it’s widely available at the chain retail craft stores). I’m a stay-at-home mom, and although I consider my knitting to be an “addiction”, I just can’t justify spending boatloads of money on yarn…it’s just not in our budget. I’m not ashamed to admit it and don’t feel like I have to apologize for that. Also, my LYS are SEVERELY limited on varieties of yarn, so in my opinion, they’re not really worth driving out to (closest one is like 1/2 an hour away). So I frequent Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, Joann’s, etc. for my yarn. I’m not ashamed of that, and I don’t feel like I have to apologize to anybody, and neither should you. I will say that perhaps some people have a negative perspective on acrylic yarns because the ones they used to make many moons ago were rough and kind of poor quality, but now, they’ve come so far and there are so many beautiful textures and they can be so soft (yes, there are still some rough ones out there I think), I don’t feel there should be “yarn snobbery”. Knitting just means a person, their knitting needles, and their yarn, whatever yarn that happens to be. When I hear criticism over the use of non-animal/non-plant yarn (or even non-designer yarns), it reminds me of a high school mentality all over again–“You’re an outcast if you’re not using this type of fiber”. It’s kind of silly in my opinion. :teehee:

Don’t worry about anything you might hear about using acrylic yarns. You’ve found yarns that work beautifully for your projects–whether it’s based on preference, availability, or cost (doesn’t matter!)–and you’re knitting…just ignore anything you feel is negative. :hug: You’ll never hear me scoff at acrylic yarns–I use them myself, and if it weren’t for other acrylic knitters posting about their pleasant experiences with certain brands, I wouldn’t know which ones to try that would yield good results.

There is nothing wrong with acrylic yarns. Every yarn has it’s place, and favorite use.

Yes, even Red Heart Super Saver. Personally, if I’m knitting a sweater for a ruff n tumble 5 year old boy, I DO NOT want to pay out the nose for a high end yarn that will need to be hand washed and coddled, especially when he will out grow it in a few months anyway! Why spend more? I think it’s more unfair to the mom and boy than me! And my favorite yarn for baby items is Sirdar Snuggly nylon/acrylic blend! It’s so soft and easy care… mom can wash and dry it without a thought.

Sure, knitting with merino, cashmere, silk, alpaca, bamboo or mohair has it’s charm… who doesn’t love a fine fiber yarn? It’s just lovely to work with. And I think it’s natural to see a preference for them. They ARE nicer. But that doesn’t mean that cheaper yarns aren’t just a wonderful to use. Give me a cheap but soft acrylic and I’m happy as a clam! It has sooooo many more uses than say 100% cashmere. Who would knit a 5 year old a cashmere sweater anyway? :shrug:

I’m no yarn snob. I’m a yarn lover. Gimme yarn, any yarn, and I’ll make something with it.

I understand miccisue, me too I just can’t believe some people have the money to make entire sweaters out of expensive yarns. I have a tight budget too and as much as I love knitting, I want to keep some money for other stuff. I think however, as redwitch said, that people in general don’t say you shouldn’t use acrylic or are disrespectful towards people using it. I saw plenty FOs using Bernat, Caron, etc, and a lot of people complimenting the work. Everybody will agree that sometimes, acrylic is what you need, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I must admit though that I wished I had the money to buy expensive stuff. I suppose I am a yarn snob… However whether we like it or not, anything made by talented crafters will beat something made in a factory using the cheapest material to reduce the costs… :shrug: it’s like comparing tv-dinners with mom’s cooking.

I knit with Caron Simply Soft. I knit with Lion 80%acrylic/20% wool. I also knit with Manos de Uruguay and Frog Tree Alpaca. What’s wrong with that?

I don’t think that most people who use natural fibers look down on those that choose not to.

I don’t think it is any more fair to say that, than it would be to say that people who use acrylics look down on those who “waste their money” on expensive natural fibers.

It all has its place, and its ALL GOOD! :cheering:

I think I do remember some derogatory comments from someone (don’t remember who and I’m NOT going to go look it up) about how acrylic yarn is worthless and plasticy.

I too think that every yarn has its place*, and that people have different budgets/climates/experiences/wash habits. Acrylic is fine for somethings, but sometimes I just really want a nice wool to make a keepsake out of. :shrug:

to each their own.

*[size=1]except eyelash, but that’s just means I only use it when people specifically ask for it…[/size]

I haven’t felt ostracized because I use mostly acrylics. Sure, I plan to use better yarns for some stuff once my skills improve, but we use what we use.

Maybe you’re just taking people’s enthusiasm for the nicer yarns in the wrong way?

I LOVE acrylic! I love throwing finished things in the washer & dryer and not having to worry! The only time I use naturals is when the item is to be felted! (Well, except for cotton dishcloths, but I stock up on S&C when it’s on sale and it’s machine washable/dryable.) I use the cheapest yarn I can find for most stuff. I have used plenty of Red Heart Super Saver and Caron Pefect Match. I was mad when I saw that Michaels raised the price to $2.36 instead of $2.17. Yeah. I’m cheap! Now, I haven’t made anything wearable except scarves. If I were to make wearables, I’d step up a notch to Simply Soft or something like that, but cheap and easy care all the way for me. I’ve got little kids and don’t have time to hand wash. I don’t want to give something that won’t last or has to be handwashed away either.

Kelly

I really hope your feelings aren’t hurt. All yarns do have a role–why would there be such a large stock in Michael’s and ACMoore and such?

I have gotten to the point where I have a definite preference for natural fibers, or blends. It’s my one indulgence–it makes me feel good to use them, and yes, I pay way too much for yarn. I certainly don’t look down on someone who uses acrylics, though. Not AT ALL!

The only yarn I have distain for is Homespun because it looks so tempting and is really so awful in the long run. That’s more of a warning than a criticism of people who do like it. I was sucked in by it’s colors, too. Lionbrand has other nice yarns, and I certainly have a stock of Encore and Sugar & Cream.

I’m glad you posted about your feelings, though. We try to keep this the best board on the web by NOT making people feel bad. About anything. :hug:

Oh, people here are very open to acrylics. Many of us use them. In fact, I have a shrug on the needles for a friend in Caron Simply Soft Shadows, and I think the yarn is very attractive. There was a thread just a few days ago singing the praises of Red Heart Soft. And as I said before, the worst yarn I ever had in my stash was this 100% wool I got off Ebay. It was the scratchiest thing in the whole universe. Yep, I did an extensive survey and after deep study, concluded: scratchiest in the whole universe.

Mind you, I tried knitting some slippers with Red Heart Soft for my nanny on wood dpns and I couldn’t make in past 5 rounds. Like most acrylics that I use on non-metal needles, it makes this awful kinda, I don’t know, squeak, that is like someone running their nails on chalkboard to me. It’s not it’s just an unpleasant experience, it actually is almost painful.

In terms of affordability and hard-wearing, acrylic yarns can’t be beat. But there are a lot more fibers out there and, in my opinion, they have qualities that acrylics can’t beat. And there’s nothing wrong with saying that, I think. I greatly prefer natural fibers, and not just any natural fiber, I don’t care much for knitting with most 100% cotton (BSA is exception), more and more I find I prefer merino and silk. I can’t always really afford them, either, and sometimes find myself eating rice and beans for a few meals because of nicer yarn. But hey, we all make our choices. :shrug: You use what you’re comfortable with. Please don’t be hurt when we’re expressing our love of non-acrylic fibers.

Hi,
Great – this is an opportunity I have been meaning to take – I think this site with all the questions, answers, comments, etc., etc. is the BEST! What makes it so great is the kindness and sincere desire by individuals to assist others and to make them feel good about what they are doing and what they are creating with all yarn. It does not matter what kind of yarn, what the project may be or how simple or complex the question may be, so many are willing to assist in so many ways. It is wonderful to know everyone is here and to experience the giving and receiving of all this site offers. Thank you everyone!!

nancydee

One of the things I noticed when I signed up on this board was how many people here use (and love!) acrylic yarn. I was surprised–I figured a board like this would be populated by those who only use natural fibers. I’m glad I was wrong, and when I finish my purple project in Caron SuperSoft, I’ve got a place to share it. (It’s my favorite purple yarn!) :smiley:

I use whatever moves me–be it Bernat Softee or Malabrigo,and happen to have tons of each. I’ve spent $15 on a skein of yarn based on other’s reviews and HATED it. On the other hand, I’ve spent $1.98 per skein on Bernat Softee for the same reason and loved the feel of the yarn while kniting it and wearing the finished item.

I personally do not like most of the Lion Brand and ACK–Knit Picks lines–sue me. Those yarns feel scratchy to my skin. But I do love Caron Simply Soft, Bernat yarns, and several Paton’s offerings.

Use what you love and forget what others have to say unless they’re forking the bill for your yarn habit.

And a little secret: I’ve found that I can knit with higher end yarns for far less than yarns I find at my local Michael’s (excepting Paton’s SWS) by shopping online at Elann’s, Little Knits, Web’s Grandpa’s Garage or Web’s Closeout section, and Ebay.