Is it possible to knit a round opening in a rectangular piece using single-point needles?

Just that:
Is it possible to knit a round opening in a rectangular piece, not in the round, just using straight needles?

I figure this is done with sweaters, but I know less than nothing about how to do that; is the opening done all in one piece, or is the piece divided and then knit together?

I’m doing a pashmina/stole and want to set-in a circle which I’m doing separately (long story…), and it suddenly hit me that I have no idea at all how to “make a hole” to set the circular thing into… I figure I can divide the piece into half, and make a “half-moon” in each half, then join the halves, but it’d be less messy if there was a way to “knit a round hole”.

Does anyone know if such a thing is possible…? I don’t even have any idea where else to look for possible information…

Thank you in advance!!!

One way to do it is to knit up to the beginning of the circle, bind off a few sts and then work the shaping on each side of the circle with 2 balls of yarn. When the circle is almost complete, connect the two sides and continue with a single yarn source.
It’s an intriguing idea. We’d love to see a photo when you finish.

that’s what i’d probably do too.

just wanted to add: you also don’t need to use two balls or two ends either, though many apparently find it easier to keep both sides identical that way for symmetrical sections. I actually usually find it a teeny bit easier to do each side on something like that separately, because i find that even though it equates to the same amount of knitting, i find i can work slightly faster when i only have the one yarn attached at one time and don’t have to keep dropping and picking up the working yarn(s). though you do have to keep careful track of the shaping so you do both sides the same. (i actually just put this principle to the test with a baby romper thingey i am making…)

but still… structurally identical–just different options to consider for the order you work the rows in… :slight_smile:

• Oh…! Hmmm, interesting idea, thanks! - I’ll have to think about that for a while, though, to try to figure it out. It sounds challenging…
  • If I ever finish this, I’ll take a lot of photos :wink:

• Thank you for the input! :slight_smile: I have no idea which might be quicker, but the “two balls of yarn” is something I can picture in my mind. I was hoping to avoid making 2 halves, because I’d have a really hard time trying to make the two halves so that they’d match up…

It’s a bit like working the neck opening on a sweater that is knit in one piece, up the front and then down the back.
IMG_1871

I’ve seen Eunny Jang draw a life size image of the shape she wants on paper and then knit to mimic that shape. That would work doing the sides one at a time too as knitster suggests.

That little sketch illustrates it nicely! (i hope i didn’t confuse the issue…)

• Hello! Thank you for the reply =:-)

• I ended up realizing, this morning, that I’d have to do pretty much that very thing, because as it turns out, I’m having to do it with every element, because it just fully hit me earlier today that there is something about the way I knit which makes my test-swatches turn out totally different from all of the photos on-line or in the books. Most especially, things which are supposed to curve, don’t. Not at all. And “feather and Fan” type patterns just look like “straight rows of eyelets and slanted stitches (decreases)”.

Then there is the whole size-ratio between stitches (width) and rows (height). I ended up having to make my own graph paper, a bit of a story in and of itself.

The best thing was the idea of using a second ball of crochet thread ((I’m doing this whole thing in 100% Cotton #19 crochet thread)) for half of the circle, so I don’t have to do the whole thing in two halves, which would create a different set nightmares :scream:

In the end, I’ll have to paste together enough graph-paper printouts to make a full-size pattern. So the open circle ((or “thorny”/pointy circle as the case may be)) will be easy to place on that :wink:

Anyway, that is a great idea, which goes to prove that “great minds think alike”, Tee-Hee! :grin:

• No, you didn’t confuse the issue, Knitster :slight_smile: Everything is grist for the proverbial thought-mill, and I appreciate the ideas! :smile: