Is it difficult to understand a British pattern?

Is it difficult to understand a British pattern? I like the Pebble Beach shawl on Ravelry, but I see the price is European and am wondering if anyone has used this pattern in the US and can let me know if it’s confusing.

Hi and welcome!

I haven’t used this pattern but it shouldn’t be any more difficult than any other. Some are well written and others are a struggle regardless of origin.

The pattern itself gets a rating of 4.7 out of 5 with a low degree of difficulty on Ravlery so that implies that it’s reasonable to understand. Have you followed lace patterns before?

Sometimes there are some different words used, but it’s easy enough to find the translation or you can ask us. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I am on the other side of the pond so find this in reverse! Main differences I’ve noticed are that US bind off = UK cast off, the needle sizes are different and the terms for wool (yarn) grades. For that I find it useful to check the tension square figures (swatch?) so I can see how many rows/stitches per 4" square any particular wool will knit to. Hope this helps a bit.
PS we aren’t hugely into dishcloths :wink:

British patterns have too many ways to tell you to make a yo. lol Other than getting that figured out I think the rest should be no problem.

Thank you everyone! I downloaded the pattern and it looks very easy to follow!

Looking at a question today on yarn weights reminds me - can you tell me what is the UK equivalent of worsted, please? Here it usually refers to gents wool suiting material.

Here are a couple of conversion tables that gives UK Aran weight as the equivalent for the US worsted weight.

Yes, we also use worsted weight to describe men’s suits although it’s clearly not the same as our ww yarn.

Thank you - that’s really useful,!

Thank you!!