Is gauge swatch included in materials?

OK this might seem silly but I wanted to get this straight since I’d like to start knitting some “appera”. When you are given the materials you need (6 balls of this or 4 balls of that) are they including the yarn it will take to make the swatch as well? I want to make sure I have enough yarn for the swatch AND the material for the shirt or whatever I decide to knit.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

~danielle~

Are you supposed to use the gauge swatch after you’ve gotten it to the right size? Or do you just stash it and use it for a big blanet or something goofy? Hmmmm…

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard that question asked before. I believe patterns have leeway in them for yarn amounts. They never say 6 1/2 balls, or 8 2/3. They can’t give exact measurements because everyone’s tension is so different, so I suspect they round ‘up.’

I reuse the yarn I make into swatches. I guess if you wash it, that might not be yarn you’d want to knit with, but could use for seaming. Some people save all their swatches and keep a journal of the yarn and needles so they have it for future reference. I’m not that organized. :teehee:

That’s a great question. I’ve often wondered the same thing myself. I usually end up with yarn left over from projects, but sometimes it’s not much. I think it never hurts to buy an extra ball of yarn – that way you know you’ll have enough for the swatch!

I’ve come across some really neat shirts and stuff I’d like to start knitting for myself maybe after I get all these christmas presents knitted up. I LOVE the coresette-T that they had on Knitty gritty not long ago and I found 3 warm jacket’s/button up kinda things in a book my mom got which I think would be great for me. They are listed for beginner/intermediate (because of seaming I believe) and I’m still trying to get up the courage to make it.

After my christmas presents! I have 2 more booga bags and 1 more princess hat and I’ll be good for christmas stuff (Unless I find some other great gift to give).

LOL. Now if my hubby’s family would grow up and behave, I could just knit and knit and knit!

~danielle~