Interpreter Needed!

Hi everyone. I am a new, self taught knitter. I wanted to practice my increases and decreases. I found the Grandmother’s favorite dishcloth pattern that has been suggested on other threads. However, I have brain fog and am a little confused. Could someone please help me figure this out.

Here is the pattern:
cast on 4 stitches
Row 1: Knit 4 (GOT THIS PART)
Row 2: K 2, YO, knit accross the row.
Repeat row 2 until you have 44 stitches on the needle.
Row 3: Knit 1, Knit 2 together, YO, knit two together, knit to end of row.
Repeat row 3 until you have 4 stitches on needle.
Bind off.

Now my questions:

  1. When it says to repeat row 2, does that mean keep going till you get to the middle of the cloth, and then go to row 3? And then repeat row 3 until the end of the cloth?

  2. Where do the increases come in at? Is yarn over the same as make one away?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot. Maybe I’m making this harder than it has to be.

  1. That’s pretty much what you end up doing. After row 2, you’ll have 5 stitches. When you do it again, there will be six stitches. So, you keep going until you have 44 stitches. Then you go to row 3. :slight_smile:

  2. Yes I think it’s also called that. YO is an increase. It’s shown here:

Good luck!!! That’s a good pattern to practice increasing and decreasing :smiley:

Hi Leigh, this is a fun pattern to knit. You start at a corner and increase by doing a Yarn Over at the beginning of each row until you have 44 stitches on the needle, so 40 more rows. Your piece will be shaped like a triangle at this point. Then you start with row 3 and decrease at the beginning of each row until you are back to 4 stitches. Then you bind off. It should be a square.

That is the same pattern I have on my website too, a very popular one for dish cloths, baby blankets and such. I think it’s one that lots of knitters have made up for themselves just by knowing how to increase and decrease. It also makes a pretty little border around itself because of the Yarn Overs making a little hole.

A Yarn Over is one of many types of increases, but this one is used here for the decorative edge it makes.

Have fun with it! And share a picture when you finish one!


Is yarn over the same as make one away?

Not quite. They’re both increases, but a YO leaves a hole, which can be used in lace and for edging; a M1 of any kind is a closed increase.