Intarsia question - confused!

Hello - I am following a chart to create a star design and I am clear (I think!) about how to change colours by twisting so I don’t get holes. Have managed a couple of rows where it has worked so think I have got the theory sorted!

What I don’t get is this: I am currently purling a row and need to change to the cc (white) from the mc (pink) but this colour change needs to happen before the spot where it happened on a previous row. Hope I’m explaining this ok - basically it’s a sloping design so I need to start the white stitches 3 or 4 stitches BEFORE the white began on the row below. If it was more than this I would just add another strand but for 3 stitches do I just stretch the yarn across the back?

I would be SO grateful for some help or advice!

thanks
emmab

For a few stitches, just strand across the back. If it were a large chunk, then you could add another strand. A lot depends on what you’re doing with the knitting. If the back is going to be covered, it really doesn’t matter, at least I don’t worry about it. If it’s going to be seen, then you don’t want too many really long loops.

One thing you can do is to try to plan ahead. If you know that on the next row there will be a large area where the color would have to strand, you could trap the contrasting color across on the previous row to close to were it will be when you start knitting with it again. Did I make that clear?

yes you did - thanks so much Ingrid!

will have a go later when the baby is sleeping!

thanks
emmab