Intarsia/Fair Isle

Hello everyone…

I’m looking to further my learning of knitting… I would like to learn some Intarsia or Fair Isle things.

I’d prefer to learn Intarsia… Does anyone know of any good online sites, besides the videos here which I’m in the process of watching, that I can visit and learn some stuff…

I got a pillow pattern that I’d like to try, so I got a pattern… however everything that I’ve read so far, has kinda confused me :slight_smile:

I’m also going to be trying some cables, which I heard was not all that hard.

Thanks for the info in advance everyone :slight_smile:

Dave

http://vickidesigns.homestead.com/Intarsia.html

This is a site that has instructions and videos, too.

Yeah I found this one in searching this am… I watched Amy’s videos… they make sense… in theory…

I just have questions about charts… and … yarn :slight_smile:

I have answers about charts and yarn–lets see if they match your questions!

Okay I guess these are the questions…

1. I’m looking at a pattern that has mybe 5 - 6 different colors…
    Now do you put all those on bobbins or do you leave them connected to the ball?

2. I did have some questions about doing the back row, but amy videos helped with that

3. if there is no stich defined, do you do the St Stich or a garter stich?

4. and If I remember patterns right, if you are knitting flat, you start from bottom R -> L, then L-R then R->L … rinse and repeat

… Um that’s about all for now :slight_smile:

When you’re using multiple colors for intarsia, it’s best to disconnect them from the balls–you’ll get too many tangles. You can put them on bobbins, but I find that bobbins catch on each other. I usually just let long strands hang down the back. They will twist, but are easy to untangle just by pulling out one at a time.

Always do st st. When you change colors on garter, you get the dreaded purl bump where you see both colors in the stitch–not the look you’re going for.

And your chart reading definition is right on.

Post it notes help you keep track.

Have fun!

Okay Ingrid the wise, one last question… :slight_smile:
Laughs Man I’m glad this place is around…

How do you know how much yarn to disconnect? I mean… do you actually go by ounces… or do you do the Ounce + padding… just incase the gauge gets off?

That’s aobut it… I’m starting #2 on my list of 4 things hopefully this weekend, cables, but after that INTARSIA here I come!! :slight_smile:

I go about a yarn or two. If I run short, I start a new strand. You could make balls as in Amy’s video and have more available, but I find that the ones I make tend to unravel, anyway.

Excuse me for … umm being confused… should this be yard? :slight_smile: Cause if it was… that would make more sense :slight_smile:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, picky, picky, picky. Here’s a D. :doh:

Okay good… well AWESOME…

Now I just have to try it… I’ll probably have TONS more questions…

It really is a lot of fun! Watching the picture develop is awesome! The most important thing is having your yarns in the right places when they meet to avoid holes. Other than that, it’s not hard at all.

“When you’re using multiple colors for intarsia, it’s best to disconnect them from the balls–you’ll get too many tangles.”

Take it from me, you dont’ want to deal with the tangles.

Something I saw on Knitty Gritty’s show about intarsia knitting was creating butterfly bobbins. Basically you wind the yarn around the palm of your hand a few times, and then take it off, turn it sideways and roll the yarn around the band of yarn, so it looks kind of like a butterfly.

Another options is to use very small balls of yarn, so you can unweave them as they get twisted.

I do multicolor knitting all the time, and its just a blast to see your picture come together. :thumbsup:

I find that when I make butterflies they tend to come undone, anyway. Any special tricks you know about?

I tend to use the small balls of yarn so I can untangle as I need to.