Instruction help:/

Question Answered

I’m trying to make a plushie. I’m not sure what the directions are telling me to do, however. Beginning on R12, what does the L1, L2, etc mean? I’m not familiar with those abbreviations…

Thank you very very very much in advance.

The section I am currently working on says this :

BODY

Using the magic loop, make 6 sc into the loop and draw up tightly

Rd 1: sc, 2 sc in next sc around (9 sc)

Rd 2: sc around

Rd 3: sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around (12 sc)

Rd 4 - 8 (5 rds): sc around

Rd 9: 2 sc in next sc, sc in each of the next 3 sc around (15 sc)

Rd 10 & 11: sc around

Rd 12: hdc, L1, L2, L3x2, L2, L1, Lhdc, sc to end of round

Rd 13 & 14: sc around

Rd 15: hdc, L1, L2, L3x2, L2, L1, Lhdc, sc to end of round

Rd 16: sc, 6 hdc, 8 sc

Rd 17: 9 hdc, 6 sc

Rd 18: hdc, L1x6, Lhdc, sc to end of round - START STUFFING

I wonder if your pattern defines the L1, L2, L3, maybe at the very beginning or at the end of the pattern? If it’s a book perhaps at the beginning of the book?
The Lhdc is a linked half double crochet.

What is the name of the pattern? Can you give us a link to it?

Well, to make it a little more confusing - (for me anyway)

This is what I am attempting to make-

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/oriental-dragon

I am using the newer “alternate” instructions but I downloaded and read through the original in the hopes of finding maybe a chart or something and had no luck.

However, I did finally notice this written on the ravelry page rather than the pattern itself:

The new style of body uses linked Tunisian crochet stitches which are not detailed in the instructions as there are dozens of very good tutorial videos out there to show you how to make them if you have not done so before. But… very basically:

Linked stitches are worked into the cross bars of the column of Tunisian stitches.
You increase the height of the linked stitch by picking up an additional loop at the base of the column of stitches.
You decrease the height by pulling the last loop of a column through the last two cross bars.

Adding an explanation of a one loop linked stitch and decrease/increase as I have had several questions on this:

A linked stitch with one drawn up loop is like a double crochet where what would have been your initial yarn over is made by picking up a loop.

When you are going from a half double crochet to the first L1, put your hook through that loop that is across the front of the hdc you just made and pull a loop through. Then put your hook into the next stitch like you normally would, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over and pull through the last two loops.

On the next L1 you will see that you now have a single crossbar on the L1 you just made - you pull up your single drawn loop through that cross bar. When you are dropping back down to a linked half double crochet (Lhdc) you do the pulling up of loops exactly as you would for a L1 but instead of pulling through two loops twice, you just yo and pull through all three loops.

So…turns out is much more complex than I had originally anticipated and now I need to learn Tunisian stitching? -sigh-

I am still very very confused but I seem to be headed in the right direction I think. Guess I am off to watch more youtube videos:/

Thanks~

Ah, yes, more complicated initially but a very interesting technique. I’ve not tried Tunisian crochet (which seems like a cross between knit and crochet) but it’s on my list.
Good luck with the pattern, new version certainly has advantages and thanks for the link.

Indeed! Well, hopefully it turns out well. Thanks for the help!