Infinity Vest, main interest is learning charts now

If pattern too challenging, ok to skip this question. Free pattern Drops Design, infinity vest. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/165-47-infinityI am new to knitting with “obscure” charts but is my focal interest.

I understand reading from bottom of the chart starting on the right to the left

How do you take the sections highlighted with
brackets and A.1 for example?.

It seems to be above the chart beginning at lower bottom. Thank you, I am working on chart with a drawing app adding notes and will post to my pinterest board :grphug:

MATERIALS
DROPS 165-47
DROPS design: Pattern no ai-024
Yarn group C or A + A

Size: XS/S - M - L/XL - XXL /XXXL
Chest measurements: approx. 80-88-104-126 cm / 31½"-34½"-41"-49½"
Materials:
DROPS AIR from Garnstudio
300-300-350-400 g color no 10, fog

DROPS STRAIGHT NEEDLES size 5 mm / US 8 - or size needed to get 17 sts x 22 rows in stockinette st = 4’’ x 4’’ (10 x 10 cm).

GARTER ST (back and forth):
K all rows. 1 ridge = K2 rows.

PATTERN:
See diagrams A.1 to A.6. The diagrams show all rows in pattern seen from RS.

SHOULDER PIECE:
Worked in two parts that are sewn tog mid back.

RIGHT SIDE: Work from mid back of neck, around the body and finish mid back on back.

Cast on 46-60-60-60 sts on needle size 5 mm / US 8 with Air. Work 2 ridges in GARTER ST - see explanation above, on last row inc 8 sts evenly = 54-68-68-68 sts. Then work as follows from RS: 4 sts in garter st, A.1 (= 46-60-60-60 sts) and 4 sts in garter st. REMEMBER THE KNITTING GAUGE When A.1 has been worked one time vertically, work A.3 for 0-0-4-8 cm / 0"-0"-1½"-3". Then work short rows as follows: 4 sts in garter st, A.2 and 4 sts in garter st. Work A.2 as follows: Work the first 2 rows, work next row from RS but turn when 8 sts remain (the last 4 sts in A.2 + 4 sts in garter st), tighten yarn and work back. Work 5th row in A.2 but turn when 11 sts remain on row, tighten yarn and work back. Continue like this until 2 rows have been worked only over the first 8 sts on row (4 sts in garter st + the first 4 sts in A.2). Work A.3 over all sts for 0-0-4-8 cm / 0"-0"-1½"-3". Then work as follows from RS: 4 sts in garter st, A.4 and 4 sts in garter st. Work A.4 1-2-2-2 times vertically, last time finish when 2 rows remain in A.4. Work A.3 for 0-0-4-8 cm / 0"-0"-1½"-3". Then work as follows: 4 sts in garter st, A.2, 4 sts in garter st (work A.2 with short rows as the last time). When A.2 has been worked one time vertically, work A.3 for 0-0-4-8 cm / 0"-0"-1½"-3", then work as follows: 4 sts in garter st, A.5 and 4 sts in garter st. When A.5 has been worked one time vertically, work 2 ridges, on first row dec 8 sts evenly = 46-60-60-60 sts. Bind off.

LEFT SIDE:
Cast on and work as right side but now work A.6 instead of A.2 so that short rows are in the opposite side. Now turn in the middle of a row from WS and work 3 rows over all sts at the end of diagram.

ASSEMBLY: Sew tog cast-on edge from right side towards cast-on edge on left side, cross the sides and sew tog bind-off edges. Sew a small stitch in the back so that the two parts are fastened tog

Can’t help you with the chart as I rarely use them and never anything that complicated. There are others here who can help.

However you need to edit your post and delete anything not pertinent to your question. We can get in trouble for copyright violation.

Also…what are you making and do you have a link?

Follow the directions under Right Side. After the garter stitch rows work chart A.1 starting at the lower end of the bracket and working each row up to the upper end of the A.1 bracket.

Thanks for the replies. . .it is my first time posting in this forum and hadn’t earned enough posts to add image plus url. Will leave original post with image unless advised again, it is a free vest pattern by Drops Design. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/165-47-infinity Thanks again for looking at my post and will start garter stitch and just follow chart from bottom right to left within A1 brackets as right side and next row as wrong side as I am working with straight needles :slight_smile: That is my memory from watching chart YouTube video. We are in Josh Bush country, player on Denver Broncos and brain is a little fuzzy by their win. He was a middle school student here in rural area outside of Winston Salem. My mother taught him reading. Also Carolina Panther country <3

Sounds like a good plan. Yes, right side rows from right to left; wrong side rows, left to right. It may help keep track in the chart if you number the rows and use a sticky note to mark your place in the chart.

I gave up on printers. . .too much work but have a Kindle tablet. I love idea of adding numbers to rows. Here is a url to my pinterest board where I will keep saving my notes for future use. https://www.pinterest.com/treecanopyriogu/straight-needle-knitting/ Sometimes they get repinned and I check out that person’s board who may have more information or current projects :wink: .

My board has different techniques for short row knitting too plus the infinity pattern. (This is for anyone coming across the pattern and would like to see more about what kind of knitting skills it will show off in end :aww:

Thank you salmonmac :heart: :heart: :heart: