Increasing stitches in a hat

Hi there, quick question for everyone!
I’m knitting a hat for a newborn; knitting all the way around, nothing fancy! But then the pattern tells me to increase 5 stitches and doesn’t specifiy which type of increase to use.

Unfortunately, I’ve lost the link to the pattern and can’t show you, but I’ve read through the rest of it several times (it’s very basic) and can’t find any suggestions. So I’m assuming it’s so basic it wasn’t worth mentioning or it doesn’t matter which stitch I use. :slight_smile:

So in this case, what type of increasing stitch do you recommend? Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

If you are just supposed to spread out the incs, then whichever one you like to use will work. A kfb, m1…

I know I’m going to be slapping my forehead when you tell me, but what does “m1” mean? This is the second time this week that I’ve come across it.

Thanks!

Here is a link to m1 (make one). http://www.knittingonthenet.com/learn/learnmake1.htm

I have only used k1fb (knit one front and back) to do increases in a hat and although it wasn’t invisible, when followed in the pattern it still looked really nice.

Hope this helps!