Increasing Question

I am knitting a pair of baby booties and am almost finished. The last part is actually a T-strap and I am stuck!

The pattern says to “Add on 5 stitches at beginning of row and knit across to end.” This is done for two rows. I understand why I need to do it, I just don’t know what is the best way to do it.

I am a beginner and know how to do the bar increase where you knit into a stitch, but don’t slide it off the left needle and then knit into the back of the same stitch. Is this the best increase to use?

I looked at the increase guide on the main page of knittinghelp.com, but there are a dozen and I don’t know how to tell which one is the correct/best one to use.

Please help!

Thanks,
Sharon

When you need to add stitches like that, it’s best to cast on. Use any one of the single cast ons, backward loop works well in this situation.

Thanks Ingrid!

I tried the backward loop cast on and it seems a little sparse. I will try a different method on the other bootie and see which works best.

Thanks for your quick reply. I was stumped!

Sharon

The knitted cast on is easy. You knit into the end stitch, but put the new loop on the needle. Then repeat.

sue