Increasing for armholes

I am working on a top down cropped pullover by Vermont Fibers, #171 and you begin this with the back and there is no neck shaping. I am currently where I need to increase for the armholes and don’t know how to handle those increase stitches on the next row. If I increase 1 stitch on each side on a RS row, say the row is P1, k1, then P2, K2…Do I place the increase stitch after the first P1 and it is a K stitch then on the next row and can some one clarify when and how I put these increase stitches back into the pattern?

You could place the increase sts one stitch in from the edge. Usually the edge stitch will become part of the seam so you can work the increase stitch into the pattern either as you make the increase or on the next row. If the pattern is k2p2, then continue that pattern.

When you’re working increases on the edges, you kind of expand the pattern outward. For example, if your pattern was, say,

(p1, k1, p2, k2), (p1, k1, p2, k2) all the way across, you could work the increase in the first and last stitch (the irregularity will be covered by the seam.) and then on the next row you’d expand to

[COLOR=Red] . . k1) [/COLOR](p1, k1, p2, k2), (p1, k1, p2, k2) [COLOR=Red](p1[/COLOR]. . and after that

[COLOR=Red]. . k2)[/COLOR] (p1, k1, p2, k2), (p1, k1, p2, k2) [COLOR=Red](p1, k1[/COLOR]. .

etc.

Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. Thank you!