Increasing a Mistake Rib pattern

I’m working on a vest that is knit in the Mistake Rib pattern. The pattern states:

Continuing in pattern as established, increase 1 stitch at the neck edge every 3rd row 3 times, every other row 2 times, then every row until you have XX number of stitches.

I know how to increase, but I don’t know how to do it while staying in a pattern that requires an odd number of stitches. Every other time I increase by 1, it will make the pattern change; won’t it?

I’d appreciate any help you can give me!!

Thanks,
Czarina

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
You’ll have to take the increased stitch into account. If this is the way you’re doing the mistake rib for example,

Row 1 *K2, P2; repeat from * to last 3 stitches, K2, P1.
Then you would work a P1 at the increase and then begin the pattern. The next increase would also be a purl and the third and fourth increase knit sts.

Thanks so much! I’ll give it a try. But first, let me ask you this:

I’m to increase at the neck edge every third row. SO…I increase at end of the row, turn and knit back (1 row), then knit back to the neck (row 2), then when I knit back for row 3, I’m not at the neck, but the side. So do I knit back again (row 4) to increase at the neck? This is really confusing to me. I appreciate your help more than you know!

Spacing these increases every 3rd row is a little unusual but not unheard of. Sometimes you’ll be increasing at the end of the row and sometimes at the beginning of a row.
What is the name of the pattern you’re following?

Sorry. My laptop crashed and it’s been in the shop for over a week. I’m back now and ready to finish this step in the pattern. The pattern is from 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders. The pattern is “Simple Mistake Rib Vest.” The pattern reads:

Increasing for the Front Neckline:

Continuing in pattern as established (mistake rib), increase1 stitch “at the neck edge” every 3rd row 3 times, every other row 2 times, and every row until you have ** stitches."
**= the specific number of total stitches depending on what size is being knit.

Could she mean every 3rd time I get to the neck? I’m not to increase on the armhole side; I know that.

Thanks for your help. I may just need to wing it. The main thing I needed was how to increase and continue in mistake rib pattern while having an even number of stitches.

Czarina

So painful when the computer crashes. I’m glad you’re back.

In a way it’s every 3rd time you get to the neck. If the first increase is on row 1, then you would increase again on rows 4 and 7. Sometimes that will be at the beg of the row and sometimes at the end of the row but always at the neck edge. If you increase at the end of row 1 (the neck edge) then you would increase at the beg of row 4 (again the neck edge) and at the end of row 7. You could use a thumb loop increase here since it’s just one stitch.