Increasing a jumper size

I am knitting a jumper for my daughter, but the largest size in the pattern is 42" but I need to knit 50". I can see how to cast on the extra stitches, from following the difference in the range of sizes, but where I have come unstuck is the shaping for the armholes and neck! Any advice would be so gratefully received :grinning:
Many thanks,
Barb

Hi fpilot would love to help. Is it possible that you could provide either the name or the link to the pattern? Have you searched other patterns maybe in thr size that you need to see what the shappjng is on those? I sm sure one of us will be able to steer you in the right direction especially salmonmac or GrumpyGramma.

The best thing to do is to make a gauge swatch and determine how many sts/inch with your yarn and needles. Then you can increase the pattern size and knowing the measurements you need for the bust and shoulders, work out the decreases for the shoulders. Cast on enough sts for about 5 inches across the row and measure the sts across the middle 4 inches.
Depending on the yarn used, you might consider a thicker yarn and larger needles which would increase the sweater size.

1 Like

Told you she would have an answer.

Hi trisha54 :slight_smile:
the pattern is a Paintbox (free) Breton sweater pattern:

And having another look at this link, I see just this morning they have added a men’s size for the same jumper, so this might make it easier for me to adjust the size up by two sizes.
I have worked out the casting on, but it’s the shaping for neck front and back that has got me bamboozled!!
Thanks so much for your support and encouragement!
Barb

:rofl:

Thanks Salmonmac :slight_smile:
I don’t have the knowledge to work out the decreases :frowning:
I wonder if taking a Craftsy class might be worthwhile?
Barb

Classic pullover and very good looking. Here are a few other sweaters to look at. They may help with sizing or you could just go with one of them.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flax

You can always add stripes to any one plain sweater.

I should add that there are quite a few knitters here many of whom design their own sweaters, who are happy to try to help.

Thanks so much :slight_smile:
I will have a good look at everything and work out the best way to go.
Barb