Increases in the round

Hi, I’m making my first sweater and I just got to the part where I’ve finished the collar and have to increase evenly from there. I did all of the suggested steps (like dividing the number I have to increase by my total number of stitches to figure out how often to make the increases), but I ended up with too many stitches at the end. Can someone help me fix this? And, less importantly, tell me what I did wrong?

There is a website that helps with evenly increasing and decreasing.http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/tools/ I hope this helps.

welcome to KH!
In the round, divide the total number of sts by the number you have to increase. What kind of increase are you using, a M1, a kfb or something else?

I’m using the M1 increase. I had 120 stitches and I had to increase by 42, but now I have 178 stitches. I got 2.857 and another guide told me to round down to 2.5, but maybe I misinterpreted what that number means?

Best I can figure is this:

(K3 M1) 9 times
(K2 M1) 2 times
(K3 M1) 9 times
K2 M1 once
(K3 M1) 9 times
(K2 M1) 2 times
(K3 M1) 9 times
K2 M1 once

That should be 42 stitches increased over the initial 120 for 162 at the end. I love playing with numbers!

2 Likes

Thank you! Do you know what I did wrong? I just alternated between (K3 M1) and then (K2 M1)

You’re very welcome! I’ve tinked so many increase or decrease rows because of miscalculations. I’ll gladly spend a few minutes playing with the numbers until I can figure out the best way to evenly increase or decrease a specific number of stitches. It sure beats spending hours knitting, tinking, and reknitting the same row.

As someone who’s now staring that in the face, you’re absolutely right.