Increases in raglan sweater

Hi all! I’m trying to make my first sweater (she says hesitantly) and I’m confused about the increasing part.

It’s a top-down raglan pattern, starting at the collar, and there are 4 sets of 2 markers at each place that the body and arms are going to separate. Anyway, you’re supposed to do an increase before the first marker, knit one between the markers, and then increase again after the second marker.

I tried the bar increase, but it looked funny. I was going to try the make one right and left (or front and back) increases that Amy has so graciously demonstrated on her increases page, but I was wondering which order I’m supposed to do them in since her left increase is shown on the right side and the right increase is shown on the left side. This confused me a lot until it occurred to me that left and right refer to the slant of the stitch rather than the side you’re supposed to use it on. (Is that right?)

Anyway, since Amy’s increases are at the edges of the work rather than in the middle (like in the sweater), should I switch them around so that I have the left on the left and the right on the right? I think that way they’d be pointing toward each other rather than away, right? I hope this is not too confusing… thanks in advance for your help. This is my first project that’s not a scarf or hat and I’ve never done increases before. They make decreases seem really easy!

I forgot to add that it’s done on circular needles, though it probably doesn’t make a difference.

I don’t think it really matters, as long as you like the look and you are consistent. The last raglan I did had me kfb for the increases on each side and they looked fine.

One thing you can do is go to www.knittingpatterncentral.com and check out their raglan sweaters to get an idea of what kinds of increases you like the look of.

Thanks Ingrid! Good idea.